Cat Doesn't Like Royal Canin S/O?

EGCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all, new poster here :) Our 5 year old male cat just came home after a week of back and forth and eventually a two day stint in the ER for urinary crystals/blockage. They catheterized him to flush everything, and he seems to be going normally now, albeit a bit frequently. We're on a couple meds for a few days and the vet had us pick up some Royal Canin S/O.

Our issue is that he is picky about his food to begin with, and he shows absolutely no interest in eating this food, either wet or dry. He took a bite or two earlier in the week, but he just doesn't seem to like it. And I'm not overly fond of the ingredients.

Are there any good urinary support foods out there that we can try? Or supplements we can add to a high quality wet food that offer similar benefits? This has been a realllyyyy expensive and stressful week for us all and I just want him to feel better and get well.

Thanks in advance!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
He took a bite or two earlier in the week,
He's been eating other food? From what I'm reading by other members here, urinary prescription food isn't an absolute necessity.

I think D mannose is a possibility for a supplement, but check with your vet, you may not want to use it for very long.
D-Mannose to the Rescue

This thread started out quite a while ago but has stayed current.
Alternatives to expensive Urinary SO food

this may also be helpful;

Cat Urinary Tract Diseases: Cystitis, Urethral Obstruction, Urinary Tract Infection

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EGCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's been on the Kirkland Nature's Domain Salmon variety until this all flared up, and he's been picking that food out of his bowl and leaving the S/O behind.

Thanks for the links...looks like there's tons of good suggestions in the Alternatives link. I appreciate your help!