Cat Doesn't Like Breakfast

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a little whiteboard which I use to record how many cans a day (total), amount he eats and time of feed. So at least with the timing, I can skive a little :soldier: :popworm:

He'll meow for food when he's hungry. And I'll ask him 'Are you hungry? He'll meow, meaning yes. Do you wanna eat? He'll meow meaning yes'. But when he's not, even I'm on me knees begging him to eat, he'll not eat :thud:
I like that whiteboard idea. :think:
So January meows when he's hungry, and when he's not...he just stares at you. :caticon: (I would have said try 'meowing', but that is such a bad idea, because it probably means something different in cat language, and you'd probably get swatted. :nono:):wink:

January sounds exactly like my cats. When they want something, they ask. (and when they don't like the food flavour, they walk away. Oh, well, I kind of love that about cats. They make their feelings known, quite clearly.):catrub:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I like that whiteboard idea. :think:
So January meows when he's hungry, and when he's not...he just stares at you. :caticon: (I would have said try 'meowing', but that is such a bad idea, because it probably means something different in cat language, and you'd probably get swatted. :nono:):wink:

January sounds exactly like my cats. When they want something, they ask. (and when they don't like the food flavour, they walk away. Oh, well, I kind of love that about cats. They make their feelings known, quite clearly.):catrub:
Yea, when he's hungry, he'll meow. And when he's not hungry and I show him the can, he'll run away mumbling and I think I caught what he said - 'What is wrong with you hooman? Told ya that I'm not hungry and you keep asking and shoving the can in my face! o_O :livid:
Other than that, he'll meow to ask open doors to the wardrobe, to the storeroom, to see outside, to find his lost ball :updown:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
...and I show him the can, he'll run away mumbling and I think I caught what he said - 'What is wrong with you hooman? Told ya that I'm not hungry and you keep asking and shoving the can in my face! o_O :livid:
Other than that, he'll meow to ask open doors to the wardrobe, to the storeroom, to see outside, to find his lost ball :updown:
:lol: When they run away mumbling...then you know, you've annoyed them. Totally clear message.
"...you keep asking and shoving the can in my face!" :crackup::running:
"...to find his lost ball " Wait a minute. Didn't we establish that we, as humans, are not supposed to be trained by our cats? (okay, I admit, when one of my cats loses the ball under the furniture...I do have to go and help get it...but only because they cannot reach it. That's the truth.):rolleyes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My poor senior cat eats Farrell's leftovers plus enough fresh food to make his meals, so he gets fed second. While I'm weighing her food, he does one syllable "Maw?" (Me?) and two-syllable "MeeeOwww?" (Me now?) He sees me carrying her plate of food back to the bathroom and says, "MeeeOwww" (Me now?) several times. Me now? Me now? Me now? I take her food and shut the bedroom door. When I come back down the hall with no saucer in hand, Tangent grumbles with a discouraged one syllable trill. "Aaahh" (Hrrmmph.) The hopeful meows end up an up-note on the end like a question; the discouraged, grumbly ones are flat-notes or end on a down sound like a statement.

While we're waiting to see if Farrell eats, Tangent sits on my lap while I work on the computer and stares at me with the occasional "Maw?" and "Owwww!" (Nowww!) if I make eye contact.

By the time it's his turn, he sits quietly at the spot in the kitchen where he plate goes while I weigh out his food.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Farrell sounds like a kitten we had at the shelter last year. We named him Sleepyhead because his three siblings would clamor for breakfast starting around 7, but he wouldn't get up till 10. :sleep: He had a couple of check-ups because we were convinced there was something wrong with him, but the vet said he simply wasn't a "morning person". :lol: He got adopted with his sister and still sleeps in every day. :dunno:

A lot of ferals don't eat during the day, so maybe Farrell has stuck with what he was accustomed to as a kitten. There are a few in the shelter's feral colony that you only see at dusk or dawn, although most are up and about all day.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Farrell sounds like a kitten we had at the shelter last year. We named him Sleepyhead because his three siblings would clamor for breakfast starting around 7, but he wouldn't get up till 10. :sleep: He had a couple of check-ups because we were convinced there was something wrong with him, but the vet said he simply wasn't a "morning person". :lol: He got adopted with his sister and still sleeps in every day. :dunno:

A lot of ferals don't eat during the day, so maybe Farrell has stuck with what he was accustomed to as a kitten. There are a few in the shelter's feral colony that you only see at dusk or dawn, although most are up and about all day.
That's interesting. I never set an alarm clock and usually wake up naturally between 5:30-6:00am, before dawn. Today I slept in until 7am, after sunrise, and Feral did not eat one single bite of her breakfast today. I may have missed "the window". She is healthy.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
My poor senior cat eats Farrell's leftovers plus enough fresh food to make his meals, so he gets fed second. While I'm weighing her food, he does one syllable "Maw?" (Me?) and two-syllable "MeeeOwww?" (Me now?) He sees me carrying her plate of food back to the bathroom and says, "MeeeOwww" (Me now?) several times. Me now? Me now? Me now? I take her food and shut the bedroom door. When I come back down the hall with no saucer in hand, Tangent grumbles with a discouraged one syllable trill. "Aaahh" (Hrrmmph.) The hopeful meows end up an up-note on the end like a question; the discouraged, grumbly ones are flat-notes or end on a down sound like a statement.

While we're waiting to see if Farrell eats, Tangent sits on my lap while I work on the computer and stares at me with the occasional "Maw?" and "Owwww!" (Nowww!) if I make eye contact.

By the time it's his turn, he sits quietly at the spot in the kitchen where he plate goes while I weigh out his food.
Your Tangent sounds like a saint. :lovecat2: Waiting for the new gal on the block to finish her food. :lol:
Tangent sounds super. You're lucky that Tangent does not decide to walk over, knock on the door, mumble meow, and get her to hurry up. :winkcat:
I do like all his different meow sounds, and how you notice the long and short syllables, too. :musicnote:

(What if Tangent told Farrell that you put him on a diet??
Then Farrell is now thinking that her older friend, needs extra food, so she decides NOT to finish her morning portions?):p
(Sure, this is far-fetched...but who's to say what our cats talk about when we are not in the room.:dunno:) :lol: :wink:
That's interesting. I never set an alarm clock and usually wake up naturally between 5:30-6:00am, before dawn. Today I slept in until 7am, after sunrise, and Feral did not eat one single bite of her breakfast today. I may have missed "the window". She is healthy.
Getting back to all seriousness, now,...I would be interested in finding out if Farrell does indeed skip "her morning window" on the weekends, or just on Fridays and Saturdays ?
(Because of reading so many Health threads, I would have asked if you thought she seemed nauseous, but from what you have described, it does really seem like she just likes to eat later on.) Did you also mention that she is a small type of cat...so you cannot really go by the average weights of kittens at 7 months, either.
(I always thought kittens ate more than adult cats, though,...at least I think mine did, while growing.)

Will be good to see how Farrell does from Sunday to Thursday, again. :bluepaw:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tangent is one big laid-back lovable lug. Nothing phases him, even the Corgi dog, who tries to get him to run for a game of chase. Nothing doing. Tangent stares Charlie (the Corgi) in the eye and if Charlie keeps up the nonsense, Tangent starts licking Charlie's forehead, grooming him. Charlie walks away defeated.

(What if Tangent told Farrell that you put him on a diet??
Then Farrell is now thinking that her older friend, needs extra food, so she decides NOT to finish her morning portions?):p
(Sure, this is far-fetched...but who's to say what our cats talk about when we are not in the room.:dunno:) :lol: :wink:
You may be right! I smell a conspiracy afoot (or apaw)! :lol: Maybe Farrell isn't eating anything at any meal, and just shoving pieces of her food through the slit under the door to the Tan Man. :p

Getting back to all seriousness, now,...I would be interested in finding out if Farrell does indeed skip "her morning window" on the weekends, or just on Fridays and Saturdays ?
(Because of reading so many Health threads, I would have asked if you thought she seemed nauseous, but from what you have described, it does really seem like she just likes to eat later on.) Did you also mention that she is a small type of cat...so you cannot really go by the average weights of kittens at 7 months, either.
(I always thought kittens ate more than adult cats, though,...at least I think mine did, while growing.)

Will be good to see how Farrell does from Sunday to Thursday, again. :bluepaw:
Yesterday she didn't touch breakfast or eat much "lunch". By dinner there wasn't enough time in the day for her to eat her average daily intake, but her weekly average was a little higher than last week.

This morning, I played with her then put 2.2 ounces of food down. Nothing at 30 minutes, or 45 minutes. Instead of picking up her food I tried a second play session. :idea: Then she ate 1.3 ounces of food. So maybe she just needs extra stimulation in the morning.

I thought she was going to be a tiny cat when I decided to keep her, but she gained 3 pounds the first two months. She weighed 8 pounds on her 7 month birthday, so she's a little heavier than the average kitten. This month she's eating less and hasn't gained any weight, so she seems to be levelling off.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Tangent is one big laid-back lovable lug. Nothing phases him, even the Corgi dog, who tries to get him to run for a game of chase. Nothing doing. Tangent stares Charlie (the Corgi) in the eye and if Charlie keeps up the nonsense, Tangent starts licking Charlie's forehead, grooming him. Charlie walks away defeated.
Poor Charlie, the Corgi. :tongue: All he wants is a good game of chase, and probably sees that Tangent can use a little bit of exercise, and instead gets a cat licking session.:cloud9: Probably Tangent trying to fix Charlie's hairdoo. :lol: :confused: (I don't really know the temperament of Corgis, all I know is that Queen Elizabeth II likes them. They do look rather cute, and energetic.)
You may be right! I smell a conspiracy afoot (or apaw)! :lol: Maybe Farrell isn't eating anything at any meal, and just shoving pieces of her food through the slit under the door to the Tan Man. :p
:lol: "...I smell a conspiracy afoot (or apaw)! That is hilarious...'afoot or apaw'. :flail:
"the Tan Man"...umm...suddenly we seem to have placed your cats in some kind of prison setting, where food is slid under doors?? :crackup:Or is the scene some sort of 'spy movie' where next we'll have Charlie the Corgi, passing notes between each cat, and not even know it. Tan Man (Tangent) will be licking Charlie, but really placing a note in his collar, and Farrell Foster, will send back messages, too. The suspense is too much. When will the food be eaten?? And by whom? No wonder Tangent sits quietly in his spot in the kitchen, while you weigh the food,...there's too much action happening beforehand. :cool2: :winkcat: :biggrin:
This morning, I played with her then put 2.2 ounces of food down. Nothing at 30 minutes, or 45 minutes. Instead of picking up her food I tried a second play session. :idea: Then she ate 1.3 ounces of food. So maybe she just needs extra stimulation in the morning.

I thought she was going to be a tiny cat when I decided to keep her, but she gained 3 pounds the first two months. She weighed 8 pounds on her 7 month birthday, so she's a little heavier than the average kitten. This month she's eating less and hasn't gained any weight, so she seems to be levelling off.
That is entirely possible, that you need to get her moving first. Sort of like a morning workout, back to the 'play, eat, sleep' method. It would be interesting to observe what happens on the days you play, and the days you don't.

Oh, 8 pounds at 7 months sounds wonderful. I wonder what she will eventually level off to.:think:

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Funny, i was just googling this. I have a healthy 1.5 year old cat i adopted her a few monthe ago and she basically acted like she had no human contact but she has come a long way and is the sweetest thing. I got her because her description said she adores any and all cats and she definitely does. She's like the loving mama for my two boys. She rarely eats breakfast. begs for food and will eat it a few hours later but she eats 2 cans a day plus 1/8 cup of dry but prefers afternoon through night eating and no morning food.