Cat Disturbing Sleep Badly

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since you mentioned that Misse chews cables, it might be helpful to get her a toy or two designed for chewing, like a Pet Stages Wiggle Worm -- Pet Stages makes a lot of good toys that are designed for chewing. Putting catnip in old socks and balling them up can also make a toy that's good for chewing and kicking. These are favorites for Ireland who both loves to chew and also used to have that killer instinct when she bit feet through the covers.

Just to clarify about the height: for her, the height seems to satisfy rather than make her alpha feelings worse.

Fingers crossed that spaying helps calm Misse down!

catman513

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Jack did what we called the "Attack on the Villagers" when he was a kitten. He would wait until we were asleep and then violently leap on one of our faces, then run away.

I waited one night until he did it and slammed a bed pillow down on him as he tried to escape. He was so shocked he never did it again.

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

This is Cookie and Duchess. I think they were 4-5 months old at the time. Duchess is really energetic and she loves to play. I didnt record the whole thing, but she was alternating between licking and kicking Cookies head. Like she’d lick her for 5 minutes straight, and then bunny kick her non-stop.

As you can see, Cookie just went on sleeping.

This is what I do when my cats try to wake me up. I ignore them. I dont push them off and i dont tell them No, cause they dont speak human anyway. It takes a long time, but they give up... eventually.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Treehouse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe she's hormonal. Hopefully spaying will calm her down a bit.

I know you're in an apartment, so not so easy for her to get outside, but make sure she doesn't find a way to escape, if she goes into heat before you get her spayed. There's been lots of threads on this site of unplanned kittens after a female cat found a way to get outside. They're pretty determined, when they're in heat. ;)

Good luck.
Hopefully thats what she is! Im sure she wont get outside, we put her in the bathroom while opening windows and if she got out the door there would be a closed off hallway anyway. ^^

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I ignore my cat and put my head under the covers. Here's our deal. If she wakes me at night she gets one pet, because sometimes it seems she is just checking to make sure I'm there or something scared her in her tour of the house. One pet and one pet only (actually three little pets all in a row). After that nothing. She eventually learned the one pet rule and usually settles at the end of the bed after the pet or resumes her patrol of the house doing whatever cats do all night in the dark. After the one pet when I was teaching her, if she persisted I put my head under the covers until she went away. It took about two weeks until she got it. You must never waver. Every now and then she does need a refresher for a few nights, particularly if our schedule has changed.

We did have a problem because I feed her when I get up. So when she heard the clock radio go off she was there pestering me. So what I did was never get up while she is pestering and if need be put my head under the covers. She would eventually go lie at the end of the bed and stare at me. The minute the pestering was over I would get up, so as to reinforce not pestering.

This has worked well and I am generally not bothered, Like I said, every now and then a refresher. The trick is you cannot waver by giving in or you will blow all your hard work in one minute.

Treehouse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since you mentioned that Misse chews cables, it might be helpful to get her a toy or two designed for chewing, like a Pet Stages Wiggle Worm -- Pet Stages makes a lot of good toys that are designed for chewing. Putting catnip in old socks and balling them up can also make a toy that's good for chewing and kicking. These are favorites for Ireland who both loves to chew and also used to have that killer instinct when she bit feet through the covers.

Just to clarify about the height: for her, the height seems to satisfy rather than make her alpha feelings worse.

Fingers crossed that spaying helps calm Misse down!
She never chews cables unless she does it for protest, she finds the cables quite boring and never plays with them so im not sure if a toy would help since a toy is something shes allowed to chew, as she doesnt chew cables for fun. I do have a bunny shaped katnip toy that she bites and kicks btw, she loves it!

Treehouse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Jack did what we called the "Attack on the Villagers" when he was a kitten. He would wait until we were asleep and then violently leap on one of our faces, then run away.

I waited one night until he did it and slammed a bed pillow down on him as he tried to escape. He was so shocked he never did it again.
Sadly Misse has no fear whatsoever, but we can still try, thanks!

Treehouse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

This is Cookie and Duchess. I think they were 4-5 months old at the time. Duchess is really energetic and she loves to play. I didnt record the whole thing, but she was alternating between licking and kicking Cookies head. Like she’d lick her for 5 minutes straight, and then bunny kick her non-stop.

As you can see, Cookie just went on sleeping.

This is what I do when my cats try to wake me up. I ignore them. I dont push them off and i dont tell them No, cause they dont speak human anyway. It takes a long time, but they give up... eventually.
Thank you, i will tell mom to try and ignore it, hopefully it works.

Treehouse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I ignore my cat and put my head under the covers. Here's our deal. If she wakes me at night she gets one pet, because sometimes it seems she is just checking to make sure I'm there or something scared her in her tour of the house. One pet and one pet only (actually three little pets all in a row). After that nothing. She eventually learned the one pet rule and usually settles at the end of the bed after the pet or resumes her patrol of the house doing whatever cats do all night in the dark. After the one pet when I was teaching her, if she persisted I put my head under the covers until she went away. It took about two weeks until she got it. You must never waver. Every now and then she does need a refresher for a few nights, particularly if our schedule has changed.

We did have a problem because I feed her when I get up. So when she heard the clock radio go off she was there pestering me. So what I did was never get up while she is pestering and if need be put my head under the covers. She would eventually go lie at the end of the bed and stare at me. The minute the pestering was over I would get up, so as to reinforce not pestering.

This has worked well and I am generally not bothered, Like I said, every now and then a refresher. The trick is you cannot waver by giving in or you will blow all your hard work in one minute.
I can tell my mom to try and put her head under the covers, might work! But i think the problem with Misse is that she wouldnt accept that my mom put her head under the covers, she would get angry and try something such as climing on things that can fall in protest and hurt herself, get on the counter which is a no no, climb up on the tv and everything she can find, we would have to remove every single furniture and object in order for it to work. Lets say, there are nights when we manage to get her to stop, but then she goes up on the tv instead, and when we fixed the tv with some double sided tape, she found out that she could climb on a very thin mini wall that could fall on her, and when we removed that wall she started walking on the counters or tried to terrorize me instead. Shes only wants trouble.