Cat Disagreements

CatMama91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 9 year old female cat, Patches. My sister moved in about 6 months ago with two cats, Indy (3 years, male) & Jasmine (1.5 years, female). For the life of me, I cannot help them become civil. Indy and Jasmine are best friends, but they have much more energy than Patches and play. Patches rarely plays and if she does, it has to just be me and her in the room. They chase her around, just wanting to play (99% of the time). She hisses at them all the time, even if they are just laying there doing nothing. Patches is declawed and the other two aren't. Patches also has digestive issues. I just want some peace of mind that they can get along without me intervening everyday.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everything sounds perfectly normal. Believe me, Patches is behaving like the older Princess she is, her role is to install discipline and demand manners and the respect that is due her. Because she is declawed she is at a distinct disadvantage in defending herself, the amputation of her toes will render her incapable of driving them off, but she can still bite, and most likely will if they wrestle with her. Her hissing is a way of warning them to leave her alone, older females are most happy with ruling the roost and asking to be left alone. 6 months is not long in a cat's world, you are doing splendidly to have them at the point they are. The other's are too young to give her the respect she demands, but will eventually learn. My female is the other's mother and she still hisses and swats them, four years later! Patches will be most happy if she can survey her little kingdom from a perch, and will be kept engaged with the antics of the others, she won't be bored! They may never be best friends, but they will from a family unit,it will just take time. And like all family units there will be disagreements.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatMama91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for the advice! You are so right with Patches, I call her a diva (because she is, haha) Should I just let them work it out or get between them?

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the advice to give her a high perch is very sound. She needs a place that is hers, safe from harassment and a good vantage point.

CatMama91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree, however she can't jump very high. She has to like do little jumps before even jumping on the bed and sometimes the couch. Is there another way to give her a good vantage point?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A table would do, you could give her one for her own with a towel or small bed. I would intervene when a fight breaks out tell the no and make it certain that you are not happy. They will get enough harassing in on their own.Your other little female will get more diva like with age too, so she will need her own space too.

CatMama91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, I can make that happen. Should I put the table in the living room then? Or does it matter? Also, does it need to be a certain height, like taller than than the couch, but obviously short enough for her to get to?

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im not a cat expert, but I would try the table, or perch in different locations until she uses it.

Im guesing it should be in an area that the other 2 cats spend much of their time.

The perch is only for the older cat. Other cats using it must be gently removed.

I suspect a table is high enough as she might not be comfortable being too high and there may be accessibilty issues.

You might have to put a chair beside the table to allow access for her.

If this works, you might replace it with a perch that is more convenient, ie a cat tree.

I would also spend time bonding with her. You dont want spraying issues to start.....and she may also need some reassurance that she is still "the one".

CatMama91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been reassuring her multiple times a day. It has been kind of an adjustment because she used to hate it and now she might even like it. It makes me feel sad for her to feel this vunerable. I will definitely be taking this advice. Thank you so much for everything!