Cat crying when doing the toilet

Taylorp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have recently got a kitten he is 10 weeks old I have realised he cry’s loudly when he is doing the toilet, his poo is dark and hard is this normal? I feel like he might be in pain when doing the toilet, he is acting normal any other time he runs around and plays etc.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. No this is not at all normal. The thing with kittens is that they can act like everything is fine, even though it isn't. Is your kitten urinating? If so, is it a decent amount?
If he isn't urinating, it is an emergency, and you have to get him to the vet now. An emergency hospital if day practices are closed where you are. If he is and it is constipation, he still needs to see a vet in the morning.
You don't want to mess around with giving him anything without vet guidance, as kitten GI tracts are extremely sensitive and you could cause problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Taylorp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
he is peeing normal and regularly, I feel like it may be because I’m feeding him a different brand of wet food from the breeder, I will book him an appointment with the vet anyway just in case

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It sounds like it probably is constipation, but I've also heard it happening with worms too.

When you make the appointment at the vet's, ask if they would be OK with you trying some Miralax in the meantime - unless they will let you in right away to see the vet. I think it is OK to use with kittens, but best to be safe and ask. If they say yes, they need to tell you the amount to give to such a young kitten. For an adult cat, the dosage is usually 1/8 tsp for at least a couple of days to see you get results. It is best to mix it with a small amount of water, but then it can be mixed into your kitten's food. Just don't do this without vet approval!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Give him a 1/2 tsp. of butter, sometimes that helps, and make surehe is getting plenty of water. Set several bowls around to entice him.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you feeding him mainly wet kitten food and supplementing with dry? That would help soften his poops. When my kitty (who is now 11...yikes!) was that age, I fed him wet food meals 5 times a day and also some dry food down for him to nibble on.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You don’t want to risk causing diarrhea in kittens by giving anything to him. If he gets diarrhea he will quickly dehydrate and it can be life threatening.