Cat coughing and lost his voice

A.w

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We brought our cat, Sonny, to the emergency vet Sunday morning because he kept acting as though he couldn't cough up a hairball. After showing a video to the vet, she thought it sounded more like a cough. They did full body xrays to check for a blockage and found nothing aside from a decent amount of poop. 630$ later, they gave him SubQ fluids and a shot of cerenia. I'm now convinced he has a cold of some sort, not a digestive issue. He's sleeping more, still eating but not as eager as he usually is, coughing and has lost his voice (he's a VERY vocal cat), his nose isn't runny, but he's sneezing a bit and his eyes haven't been more watery than what they usually are. I mentioned this during my visit (that he had lost his voice) and the vet said it could be because he's been coughing so much.

He hasn't been coughing as much today. Barely any really. But he's sleeping more and not as hyper as he normally is (he's our wild child).

I'm due to give birth any day and bringing him back to the vet is the last thing I want to do considering the 630$ I just spent. Is there anything I can do from home to help him get over this cold and make him feel better?

Last edited by a moderator:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
We brought our cat, Sonny, to the emergency vet Sunday morning because he kept acting as though he couldn't cough up a hairball. After showing a video to the vet, she thought it sounded more like a cough. They did full body xrays to check for a blockage and found nothing aside from a decent amount of poop. 630$ later, they gave him SubQ fluids and a shot of cerenia. I'm now convinced he has a cold of some sort, not a digestive issue. He's sleeping more, still eating but not as eager as he usually is, coughing and has lost his voice (he's a VERY vocal cat), his nose isn't runny, but he's sneezing a bit and his eyes haven't been more watery than what they usually are. I mentioned this during my visit (that he had lost his voice) and the vet said it could be because he's been coughing so much.

He hasn't been coughing as much today. Barely any really. But he's sleeping more and not as hyper as he normally is (he's our wild child).

I'm due to give birth any day and bringing him back to the vet is the last thing I want to do considering the 630$ I just spent.
Is there anything I can do from home to help him get over this cold and make him feel better?
Honestly, the only thing I can think of...is if you 'steam up your bathroom, by running some hot water, or warm bath'...and taking Sonny inside there, with you, to help relieve some of the phlegm or congestion, that he may have.

But I'm not sure if this helps with a cat with asthma...or would it make it worse.
Did the ER Vet mention looking for asthma...in the full body x-ray...by any chance?
Did the Vet do any type of Blood work on Sonny
to rule out a bacterial infection?
How old is your Sonny cat?

(ER vets are always known to be much more expensive than regular Vets..usually (not always, but mostly)..depending on location.
Can you find a more reasonable, ordinary Vet for your Sonny, and ask for that blood work, or antibiotics, in case he has an upper respiratory infection, URI.)

Since you already paid that money to the ER Vet,...could you perhaps call them back, and ask them to prescribe something for the coughing, sneezing and loss of voice?
Since you were just there on Sunday, then I'm hoping that they will help you out.
(Though, I hope they won't charge you another crazy fee, just for "a prescription call-in" to the local pharmacy.)

Ask to speak to the Vet who saw Sonny, directly.
Tell them you are due to give birth, any day now, (and congrats about that)...Maybe if they have a heart, and some empathy...they would actually help a person out.
(I'm kind of doubtful, but never know. Doesn't hurt to ask the Vet directly, and who knows, maybe she will just 'get your local pharmacy to fax her'...or 'call it in')

Also ask them politely, to send you all the paperwork, (since you did pay for it, and tell them, that you do want it for your own records.)
But only do this...after your first phone call...asking if you can speak to the Vet, and that you were there just yesterday (sunday) morning.
That way, you will have a copy, no matter what,...and if you decide to go to a regular Vet, then it will be with you, too.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

A.w

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Honestly, the only thing I can think of...is if you 'steam up your bathroom, by running some hot water, or warm bath'...and taking Sonny inside there, with you, to help relieve some of the phlegm or congestion, that he may have.

But I'm not sure if this helps with a cat with asthma...or would it make it worse.
Did the ER Vet mention looking for asthma...in the full body x-ray...by any chance?
Did the Vet do any type of Blood work on Sonny
to rule out a bacterial infection?
How old is your Sonny cat?

(ER vets are always known to be much more expensive than regular Vets..usually (not always, but mostly)..depending on location.
Can you find a more reasonable, ordinary Vet for your Sonny, and ask for that blood work, or antibiotics, in case he has an upper respiratory infection, URI.)

Since you already paid that money to the ER Vet,...could you perhaps call them back, and ask them to prescribe something for the coughing, sneezing and loss of voice?
Since you were just there on Sunday, then I'm hoping that they will help you out.
(Though, I hope they won't charge you another crazy fee, just for "a prescription call-in" to the local pharmacy.)

Ask to speak to the Vet who saw Sonny, directly.
Tell them you are due to give birth, any day now, (and congrats about that)...Maybe if they have a heart, and some empathy...they would actually help a person out.
(I'm kind of doubtful, but never know. Doesn't hurt to ask the Vet directly, and who knows, maybe she will just 'get your local pharmacy to fax her'...or 'call it in')

Also ask them politely, to send you all the paperwork, (since you did pay for it, and tell them, that you do want it for your own records.)
But only do this...after your first phone call...asking if you can speak to the Vet, and that you were there just yesterday (sunday) morning.
That way, you will have a copy, no matter what,...and if you decide to go to a regular Vet, then it will be with you, too.
He seems a lot better today honestly. His energy is back, no coughing, just seems more himself. I kept him in our room with the humidifier on over night, gave him a small dose of colloidal silver (my go-to when my others catch colds) and added silver and water to our diffuser (it's never used with essential oils, only for silver) to run near him overnight. He hasn't regained his voice back fully, which may be a blessing in disguise for when the baby comes cause this cat can howl 😅. All jokes aside, I hope he regains his loudness soon, the house feels too quiet without it. Funny how you end up appreciating things that used to annoy you when they get sick lol