Cat constipation

spylix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all looking for advice. I have a 7 month female cat that was spayed last Thursday, March 28. When I went to pick her up I was told when they opened her abdomen they saw there was poop backed up and prescribed her 0.7 mg of lactulose for three days as well as pain meds. She pooped that night so I wasn’t too worried but still gave her the laxative. She was eating wet food and peeing so I wasn’t too concerned. For the next three days nothing else came out so I took her back in to the vet on Monday.
they took x-rays, saw she was backed up and did an enema. They sent me home with hills science id digestive care wet food and told me to finish the lactulose even after telling them it did nothing for her.
Confused why the laxative didn’t work as I didn’t really get an answer from the vet or if there’s anything else I can do for my baby

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lactulose didn't work for my heaven cat either. I gave her miralax and vetasyl. Vetasyl is psyllium husk which is also in the science digestive diet. For some reason my vet didn't recommend vetasyl but I was desperate after I had to take my cat to emergency. She pooped everyday once I put her on it.
If you think about it, food is food, not medicine. I'm a believer that with all of these prescription diets, there's alternatives to fix the problem. Constipated? Miralax, lactulose, psyllium husk, pro-pre biotic. Diabetic? Feed a low carb high protein diet. Urinary issues? Feed wet food diet that is low in phosphorus. Etc... prescription diets are junky.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

spylix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lactulose didn't work for my heaven cat either. I gave her miralax and vetasyl. Vetasyl is psyllium husk which is also in the science digestive diet. For some reason my vet didn't recommend vetasyl but I was desperate after I had to take my cat to emergency. She pooped everyday once I put her on it.
thank you for the advice, I had read about the psyllium husk and didn’t realize it was in the food, I’m really hoping it’ll help. It’s a bit of relief to know it isn’t just her that the lactulose isn’t working with. :/
I asked about trying miralax and the vet seemed confused asking if it was a paste? Saying it would give her diarrhea (To my understanding it’s only a powder)
May I ask what if it was just constipation or a bigger issue for your kitty?

spylix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wasn’t completely sure about trying the prescription diet either :/ just so desperate to find some relief for my Snowy girl

spylix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
honestly probably going to reach out to other vets tomorrow and get more opinions. This sucks I never wanted this for my girl

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She had severe constipation as well food allergies (vomiting). Which is why I couldn't feed her gi food. Looked at the ingredients and saw psyllium husk so figured why not just give her just that so that she can stay on her venison diet. Miralax is completely safe, my vet at least recommended that. Just make sure to start a very small amount especially since your cat is 7 months old

spylix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She had severe constipation as well food allergies (vomiting). Which is why I couldn't feed her gi food. Looked at the ingredients and saw psyllium husk so figured why not just give her just that so that she can stay on her venison diet. Miralax is completely safe, my vet at least recommended that. Just make sure to start a very small amount especially since your cat is 7 months old
Oh :( that’s so hard. Thank you thank you
She’s so little and also very easily scared so all these nasty meds have definitely stressed her out. I’m hoping since miralax is flavorless it will really help her out

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm confused that you're vet didn't know what miralax was but then said it would cause diarrhea. Like how would she know if she didn't know what it was? 🤔

spylix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm confused that you're vet didn't know what miralax was but then said it would cause diarrhea. Like how would she know if she didn't know what it was? 🤔
RIGHT I’m wondering if they thought I was talking about something else but just strange

spylix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update she went just about thirty mins ago! It was firm & dark in some spots and lighter/softer in others
Have given her miralax twice today now
Only have one can left of the prescription food will need to look up other options for wet food
So so thankful & hoping she’s on the mend ❤‍🩹

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yay! May be able to give 1x daily now since she already went now. If she has a step back then can do the extra dose

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We are feeding my prone to constipation kitty RAWZ rabbit with pumpkin and giving her Visbiome Vet probiotic. It seems to be helping, but we've only been giving her a small amount of the probiotic because I don't want it to have an adverse reaction and we end up with diarrhea.

Visbiome Vet High Potency Probiotic Constipation Care for Pets - 100 Billion CFUs (30 packets)

You could also try adding plain canned pumpkin to her food, plain psyllium husk, or slippery elm bark powder may help.

spylix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are feeding my prone to constipation kitty RAWZ rabbit with pumpkin and giving her Visbiome Vet probiotic. It seems to be helping, but we've only been giving her a small amount of the probiotic because I don't want it to have an adverse reaction and we end up with diarrhea.

Visbiome Vet High Potency Probiotic Constipation Care for Pets - 100 Billion CFUs (30 packets)

You could also try adding plain canned pumpkin to her food, plain psyllium husk, or slippery elm bark powder may help.
I’ll have to look into the probiotic & going to take note of the others for her just in case! Thank you so much for the recommendations
picked up wellness core digestive health wet food earlier and hoping she’ll do well with it