Cat Constipation

Ladams215

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

My cat is being treated for wet FIP. He’s responding to the drugs (awesome) but I think he has a concurrent Feline Herpes infection (mega gunky eyes, congestion weak meow).

He has developed constipation and lost his appetite somewhat, I’m hand feeding him and he is keeping the food down!

I’ve been giving him Lactolose for a day and half and he has done a small poo. Just wondering if you had any advice, I am in the UK fyi if you have any brands you’d recommend.

some on other forums are saying it could be neuro FIP causing the constipation, the vet doesn’t think he has any neuro elements as he has passed the nerve tests etc.

He is also on a dose of steroids which I wonder if they could be contributing as he was pooing just fine before being given those.

real head scratcher!

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if this will be useful in your kitty's situation, and obviously your vet will advise, but I have found Osmolax (the Australian name for it - they call it Miralax in the US, don't know the UK brand name) better for treating my Daisy's constipation (she has megacolon). It's very easy to measure precisely and administer, being powder that's dissolved in water, and not sticky like Lactulose. She likes it enough to drink from the mixing spoon.

Best wishes for your boy's recovery.

jman_in_mn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm currently mixing 1/4 tsp into Marvin's wet food every other day to manage his minor constipation. Working great for him.
Of course after I said this a few days ago now Marvin is pretty backed up. Anyone know any good tricks? Marvin has gone into the box about 6 times in an hour and hasn’t produced anything. Going to try an additional dose of miralax.

Taylor0614

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Might be time to take him to a vet if he is impacted they can give him an enema I wouldn't recommend giving enema at home unless directed by the vet what to use and exactly how

jman_in_mn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Might be time to take him to a vet if he is impacted they can give him an enema I wouldn't recommend giving enema at home unless directed by the vet what to use and exactly how
clearing my schedule tomorrow and I'll likely have to take him into the emergency vet in the morning

jman_in_mn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
clearing my schedule tomorrow and I'll likely have to take him into the emergency vet in the morning
so Marvin ended up defecating this morning on his own- 15 failed attempts and 2 vomiting episodes (probably from straining) he went

I was meeting with his primary vet today anyway because of his diabetes so no emer visit for him; we gave him an extra dose of Miralax to help

Fergusboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My totally constipated kitty was given an enema at the vet, then 3 days of Lactulose at home, then another enema at the vet, and in a few days he was all cleaned out. Now he is on a daily dose of 1/4 tsp Miralax (no lactulose) and 1/4 of whole psyllium seed (mised into canned food). He has gained weight and eats and poops like a champ!