Cat constipation, help

whc216

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has been suffering from a cold + asthma she probably has URI as well. As for now, I am trying to avoid visiting the vet's office until my cat gets more stable. About 1.5 months ago, she seemed a bit sick but completely normal (she ate and walked around fine), but the visit and several examinations gave her a lot of stress since, everything turned south.

Anyway, I am trying to let her feel as comfortable as she can because I see her getting better, but this chronic cold keeps flaring up so it's been up and down. The thing is that when she gets sick, she drinks and pees but I just don't see much poop. When we came from the vet visit, she barely ate and moved, and it took about a week to see her poop. Eventually, 1.5 days before I saw her poop, I added 1/8 teaspoon of MiraLax + water with her food every 12 hours, and that worked for her. After, she pooped fine, I stop giving her MiraLax, and even after, I saw her poop fine with quality (really good grade) poop. About a week ago, the cold flared up again and she was not doing well. She is slowly coming back (but not the same as last week), but the thing is I have not seen her poop for over a week. Starting 3-4 days ago, I started to give mix MiraLax again with her food, but so far, nothing. I also decided to give a Dulcolax 12 hours ago, but so far, nothing. I am started to worry.

I had online vet consultation a few weeks ago, and we are currently doing Steroid + Antibiotics treatment. I've been giving her 2.5mg Predisolone per day. I vaguely saw somewhere that steroids can dry up? Currently, since the vet visit, she does not eat dry food anymore, and much less wet food than before. I know dry food can contribute more to pooping? Also, she barely moves. I think every time she moves, she needs to catch her breath, so she mostly sits down. She goes to the litter box but only pee and I did not even see her attempt or try to poop. I am a bit frustrated and curious if there is any home treatment I can help with for the constipation? I really want to refrain from office visit at this moment.

Thank you

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know anything about Dulcolax, so maybe it just takes more time to kick in? You could have increased the Miralax to 1/4 tsp once or twice day to see if that would have helped. Also, if she is eating very little, she is less likely to produce much stool - although, no stool would seem troublesome at this point, and may require vet assistance.

Dry food may have fiber in it, which fiber is believed to help with BMs., but it also contains so much less moisture than wet food that it can contribute to constipation. I have not heard that steroids cause constipation, so I wouldn't assume that to be the case in your situation. And, sadly, many antibiotics tend to evoke looser stools rather than constipation.

URIs will also affect a cat's appetite and can prompt lethargy, so I suspect that is contributing to her lack of interest in eating. You can try to jump start her eating by giving her other foods, including human ones, to see if that will help any.
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again - TheCatSite

If she is congested, you can try to give her some relief by running hot water in a shower/tub in a closed bathroom until it is steamy, and then sit with her in there for 5-10 minutes two-three times a day.

I really think you need to let the vet know what is going on. You can always ask about other things to try without a vet visit, but I think you will find they will likely want to see her if she hasn't pooped in a week.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with everything said above, but want to add that if you can possible get her to move around, that might help things get moving in her intestings. Also, if you can add some water to her wet food, even better because hydration really helpful when constipated, and to prevent it in future. One last thing, and that is if you can warm up her food, it will help her smell it better. When their noses are stuffed up, smelling is obviously harder to do, and they depend on smell more than anything. The stinkier the food, the better in this case. (fishy is usually the stinkiest)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whc216

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for the reply.
Today, after some search, I decided to give it a try for the enema approach at home. Fortunately, I was able to do it and I saw some hard poop along with it. Immediately after, the enema caused her poop, then she sit down few more seconds and poop another big hard one. Now, I need to keep my eyes from today for all the advices.

And I appreciate all the advice. I would like to go to the vet but after a few more weeks. When I had to hold her and brought her to one of the small rooms, she had breathing issues from stress, and I feel like going to the vet (which is 40 minute's ride each way) and examination could be worse.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
At home enemas are kind of scary, but hopefully it did the job for you, and you won't have any repercussions from it. Another thing to try, if the Miralax can't keep her going, would be a small sliver from a baby suppository. I'd do that before another enema, IMO. Hopefully, it won't be needed.