Cat constipated

mrotman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Senior cat (19) has been constipated the past few days. I have a call in to the vet, but has anyone had this issue? He has been on Miralax for a long time but just wondering what has been recommended? He is pooping a little but obviously constipated and won't let me clean him. Any advice??

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
M mrotman what is his weight and how much Miralax did they tell you to give?

Are the crystals fully dissolved when you provide it?

Did they do a blood panel and stool sample to see the underlying cause? It may be time to run a new blood panel (every 6 months for geriatric cats, which is over age12).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrotman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I just put the Miralax in his food-have been doing it that way for a long time. Am I supposed to dissolve in water first??? I haven't talked to the vet yet-guessing they will have to do a work-up. Thanks!

mrotman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I just put the Miralax in his food-have been doing it that way for a long time. Am I supposed to dissolve in water first??? I haven't talked to the vet yet-guessing they will have to do a work-up. Thanks!
He is on a 1/4 tsp. twice daily-not sure how much he weighs, but he is a large cat-maybe 14 lbs??

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is he eating dry food or wet food? Sometimes adding in wet food can help. Plain canned pumpkin puree added to wet food can also help get things moving.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi,
1/4 teaspoon twice a day is probably the max dose that can be given to a cat.

Yes, you need to dissolve the Miralax in water before mixing it into food, preferably canned food or a moist treat like lickable treats. The Human instructions on the Miralax package says to dissolve a dose in a full glass of water before ingesting. The same applies to pets but a spoonful or two of water is plenty. Dissolving the Miralax in water rehydrates the powder so that it doesn't draw water from other parts of the body into the colon which results in dehydration which in turn can cause constipation, not relieve it. Vets often don't know that Miralax is supposed to be dissolved in water first.

mrotman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, it should be dissolved. 1/4 twice a day seems high, but every cat is different :)

Let us know what your vet says.
Wow-I never knew that-thanks! I will!

mrotman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
1/4 teaspoon twice a day is probably the max dose that can be given to a cat.

Yes, you need to dissolve the Miralax in water before mixing it into food, preferably canned food or a moist treat like lickable treats. The Human instructions on the Miralax package says to dissolve a dose in a full glass of water before ingesting. The same applies to pets but a spoonful or two of water is plenty. Dissolving the Miralax in water rehydrates the powder so that it doesn't draw water from other parts of the body into the colon which results in dehydration which in turn can cause constipation, not relieve it. Vets often don't know that Miralax is supposed to be dissolved in water first.
Wow-I was never told that! Thanks so much for the info.! I do put it into his wet food.

mrotman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is he eating dry food or wet food? Sometimes adding in wet food can help. Plain canned pumpkin puree added to wet food can also help get things moving.
He eats both wet and dry, but I put the Miralax in the wet food. You know, I totally forgot about the pumpkin-thanks for reminding me! How much would you recommend trying?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi,
Yes. It needs to be 100% dissolved in water and then added to the food.

By adding the plain crystals, that will make the constipation worse.

mrotman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good to know-ty!

mrotman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes. It needs to be 100% dissolved in water and then added to the food.

By adding the plain crystals, that will make the constipation worse.
I wish I had known this before, but from now on, I will dissolve it! Ty!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The max I've ever done is 1/4 teaspoon once a day for a 9 lb cat.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The max I've ever done is 1/4 teaspoon once a day for a 9 lb cat.
That's fair. Larger cats may need a larger dosage though. That's pretty normal for most medications once you get over 12 lbs of cat. I used to have a very hard time double checking dosages due to Nobel's size. He was off most manufacturers charts ;) now bigger breeds are more common. So it's not an issue.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's fair. Larger cats may need a larger dosage though. That's pretty normal for most medications once you get over 12 lbs of cat. I used to have a very hard time double checking dosages due to Nobel's size. He was off most manufacturers charts ;) now bigger breeds are more common. So it's not an issue.
Yes, Daisy was put on 1/4 tsp twice a day to start with. I have her on 5/16 tsp at present. She’s 5kg/11lbs.
The great thing about dissolving the Osmolax (aka Miralax) is that she has recently taken to drinking it out of the spoon - it’s become her treat drink!