Cat consistently has bloody stool for 1+ years

Kat9055

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am really worried, but the vet doesn't seem worried. My male cat is 9 years old and has been having persistent bloody stool for over a year, but doesn't seem to have hard stool. He is spending a lot of time on the litterbox and making a lot of trips per day. More than our other 3 cats combined.

He had a rough start to life and has feline herpes which flares up every couple months. I've had blood work done and stool samples, but after a round of antibiotics for giardia, he still has bloody stool. The tricky thing is, he has severe fear-agression regarding vets and has been gray-listed at 2 vets, so they will only see him if he is knocked out. His behavior seems fine other than the bathroom habits.

I have photos, but they are kind of gross... Any advice or ideas?

*Edited to add that vets in my area are seriously overwhelmed and no one is taking new patients, so switching vets is a last resort. I also added a poop picture in the comments with spoiler to reduce the gross factor for the casual reader.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Has your vet suggested Miralax or Restorilax for his food? You must choose flavorless, and dissolve it completely in water before giving it to him.

I can see he has a mix of hard and soft poos from that photo. It's red blood, so it's likely happening when close to being on the way out. That's better than higher up, but still at risk for colon issues. Also if litter box avoidance, which is the prime cause of rehoming, all of which should have your veterinarian concerned. (Consider making a report, if where you live veterinarians report to an overruling licencing office).

How the Miralax works: brings water to the colon that helps to keep poos soft and then prevent tearing.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also, did they do a poo sample after antibiotics? The antibiotics might not have cleared the infection completely. In humans at least, they do a follow up sample. (You can bring the sample without bringing him and then do a virtual or phone appointment)

Probiotics might also be warranted for getting some healthy bacteria back in there. giardia and antibiotics both wipe out healthy bacterias. That could explain the inconsistent poos.

There are tons of probiotic threads from people more experienced with cat probiotics. Check those out for more info 🙂

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kat9055

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, did they do a poo sample after antibiotics? The antibiotics might not have cleared the infection completely. In humans at least, they do a follow up sample. (You can bring the sample without bringing him and then do a virtual or phone appointment)

Probiotics might also be warranted for getting some healthy bacteria back in there. giardia and antibiotics both wipe out healthy bacterias. That could explain the inconsistent poos.

There are tons of probiotic threads from people more experienced with cat probiotics. Check those out for more info 🙂
Thank you! I'll give miralax a go. I am starting him on fortiflora powder, so I hope that will help. He's also been on mostly dry food and I am increasing his wet food asap I appreciate your reply. It can be a very helpless feeling when the medical professionals dismiss him because he gets so afraid, but it makes me feel relief to know there are things I can try. I'll bring another stool sample in as well.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you! I'll give miralax a go. I am starting him on fortiflora powder, so I hope that will help. He's also been on mostly dry food and I am increasing his wet food asap I appreciate your reply. It can be a very helpless feeling when the medical professionals dismiss him because he gets so afraid, but it makes me feel relief to know there are things I can try. I'll bring another stool sample in as well.
Let us know what helps and what doesn't. Perhaps we can brainstorm more with you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kat9055

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Let us know what helps and what doesn't. Perhaps we can brainstorm more with you.
I really, really appreciate this! My animals are so important to me and this gives me a lot of hope. My cats are all rescues and have already overcome a lot, so I just hope I can figure out how to help him. I am starting the probiotics today and will give that a week (with increased wet food). I'll update what works!