Cat Clavamox Side Effects

katieann23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! I'm wondering if any other cat parents have had a similar experience and can provide insight.

My 18 year old Himalayan recently came down with some sort of infection and was given a B12 shot, an injectable antibiotic as well as oral liquid Clovomax. At first, she seemed to be bouncing back. But within 3 days of taking the liquid antibiotic, she slowed down again and her appetite went to less than half of what it usually is. She's a very vocal cat too and she's quiet. She's not acting sick like she was prior to going to the vet, but this behavior is still strange. I know Clovomax can cause lethargy and lack of appetite. The vet told me to suspend use so I gave her a final dose early Friday. Today is Sunday and there isn't any change. She still seems a little confused too. The vet suggested a probiotic which i will pick up tomorrow. I also bought her liquid B12 to try to stimulate energy and appetite. At this point, I'm not sure if it's the antibiotic or lingering infection? Etc. I really don't have the money for more testing. :(

Has anyone else had this experience? Anything that helped their cat? I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Find out what the injectable antibiotic was - it could be the source, in part, of her lethargy and lack of appetite. Many of the injectable ones are long lasting and can take a while for any side effects to begin to subside. And why were two antibiotics given? It might also take more time to see some improvement if the just recently discontinued Clavamox was adding to her problems. How was the infection identified, and what kind is it?

Many probiotics, because they are comprised of strains of bacteria, are rendered less effective when used concurrently with antibiotics since antibiotics are given to kill off bacteria, so I am not sure how much they will help. Can you get the vet to prescribe an appetite stimulant?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katieann23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, thanks so much! It looks like Covenia was the injection. She's had injectable antibiotics before and never had this reaction, but the last two times she didn't have oral antibiotics on top of it. They do have an appetite stimulant which has been mentioned, but the vet wanted to try other things first. She's a tiny cat, always has been, and I wonder if this was just too much. No word about what specific infection it was (maybe that's why they gave two antibiotics?) Her blood work and urine was clean and the vet said her organs are still strong.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If her blood work was fine and urine clean, I have no idea how the vet determined there was an infection. Maybe, just for your own curiosity, you might ask the vet.

Covenia can last at least as long as 2 weeks in her system, some cats have it last longer than that. So, if her issues are associated with Covenia, then they may hang around a while.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katieann23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If her blood work was fine and urine clean, I have no idea how the vet determined there was an infection. Maybe, just for your own curiosity, you might ask the vet.

Covenia can last at least as long as 2 weeks in her system, some cats have it last longer than that. So, if her issues are associated with Covenia, then they may hang around a while.

Thank you! They checked her urine for diabetes specifically (negative), so maybe she did have an infection there. She was acting like she had an infection when I took her in - hiding from me, peeing on the floor, confused, etc. She's had UTIs before. I will ask the vet if we speak again.