Cat chronic diarrhea

Emmypeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! My Rory girl has gone through phases of having diarrhea, she’s in another phase right now and unfortunately she doesn’t use the litter box when her stool is soft. We took her to the vet and got a stool sample awaiting results — not sure it will tell us much as it hasn’t in the past. I’m thinking it’s IBS? She is such an overly scared/ timid kitty. We’ve tried different foods, litters, probiotics, we’ve tried it all! Has anyone experienced this before? If so, what helped you? Thanks!! :bigeyes:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi everyone! My Rory girl has gone through phases of having diarrhea, she’s in another phase right now and unfortunately she doesn’t use the litter box when her stool is soft. We took her to the vet and got a stool sample awaiting results — not sure it will tell us much as it hasn’t in the past. I’m thinking it’s IBS? She is such an overly scared/ timid kitty. We’ve tried different foods, litters, probiotics, we’ve tried it all! Has anyone experienced this before? If so, what helped you? Thanks!! :bigeyes:
My boyhood chronic diarrhea for almost 3 months last year before it subsided at the end. I had him on probiotics and it helped him.

I'm not a vet but I'm just sharing with you what helped my boy. Here's an article for you to read. This was what I put my boy on and I followed the instructions in the article. Give it a read if you can.

My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?

Hope your girl get well soon.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a chronic diarrhea kitty. He has had flares of diarrhea since he was 8 months old. (He is now 13.) A food change to a prescription gastro food helped initially. Then several years later, he was diagnosed with gastroenteritis. Last year, he had another flare and he was diagnosed with pancreatitis. Then on Thanksgiving Day he had a huge flare up and he was diagnosed with IBD in December. We are just now getting over the flare up. You can read his journey on this thread: Tumbles' Journey with IBD

This is what we've done to help him:
Changed his food
Prednisolone daily
Cerenia for throwing up
Zofran for nausea
Simethicone (baby gas drops) for gas and bloating from food reaction
Probiotic (saccharomyces boulardii)
Adored Beast Gut Soothe
Slippery Elm Bark syrup
Prozac (generic) for anxiety and freaking out while pooping

Within the past 3 weeks, he's finally started pooping IN the litter box consistently. Most of the time, he was pooping on a piece of packing paper, which was better than on the couch or the kitchen counter! I did invest in a roll of packing paper. For awhile, he was pooping on the floor in the kitchen which was also an easy clean up. There were days when I wanted to throw in the towel and wondered if he'd get any better. It seemed like it was one step forward, 2 steps backwards. We have now gotten his meds down and watch his eating patterns to figure out what meds he needs. It's definitely trial and error on a lot of these things, though.