Cat can’t poop

timahsm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry this is severely rushed. This is not the same cat as last post.
I just need some reassurance and help here, my cat hasn’t pooped in 3-4 days and the issue has been taken care of by the vet.
They brought him back today to see if he poops better at home, which he hasn’t pooped, and tomorrow he needs to go to do some type of surgery thing to remove the poop.
I forgot to ask the vet, but is it not toxic for poop to be in his body for so long??? How do I make sure he’s okay and not in pain while I can??

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How was the issue taken care of by the vet if he still isn't pooping? Do they have any idea what is causing it - for it to require surgery? Have they done x-rays to see what might be going on? Did they give him an enema?

It isn't so much an issue of toxicity, but rather if the feces is impacted and possibly blocking his intestines. If that were the case, he likely would be vomiting. Is he passing anything, maybe even some diarrhea? Is he eating/drinking at all? Did the vet mention anything about using a laxative, something like Miralax?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

timahsm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How was the issue taken care of by the vet if he still isn't pooping? Do they have any idea what is causing it - for it to require surgery? Have they done x-rays to see what might be going on? Did they give him an enema?

It isn't so much an issue of toxicity, but rather if the feces is impacted and possibly blocking his intestines. If that were the case, he likely would be vomiting. Is he passing anything, maybe even some diarrhea? Is he eating/drinking at all? Did the vet mention anything about using a laxative, something like Miralax?
The vet gave him a lot of medicines and oils (I don’t know how to translate the word in english, so im using the word oils), which help him basically pass his faeces much easier, and also painkillers. Also how they found this out was because of an x-ray they took and how his stomach was hard and more rounder than usual.
Basically the reason he cant pass faeces is because his kidneys have some type of early calcification going on, so due to the pain of that he couldn’t go to the toilet properly. So this should’ve helped him, they then sent him home because it seemed he was too scared to eat, drink, or go to the bathroom. So, we picked him up and he still hasn’t gone.
He’s eating just fine, he hasn’t drank any water though (he ate wet food). They did give me a type of laxative, or something similar to that, and I’m meant to start the medication with him tomorrow.
He tried to go to the bathroom but seemed to give up pretty quickly.

timahsm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet gave him a lot of medicines and oils (I don’t know how to translate the word in english, so im using the word oils), which help him basically pass his faeces much easier, and also painkillers. Also how they found this out was because of an x-ray they took and how his stomach was hard and more rounder than usual.
Basically the reason he cant pass faeces is because his kidneys have some type of early calcification going on, so due to the pain of that he couldn’t go to the toilet properly. So this should’ve helped him, they then sent him home because it seemed he was too scared to eat, drink, or go to the bathroom. So, we picked him up and he still hasn’t gone.
He’s eating just fine, he hasn’t drank any water though (he ate wet food). They did give me a type of laxative, or something similar to that, and I’m meant to start the medication with him tomorrow.
He tried to go to the bathroom but seemed to give up pretty quickly.
Also, we are taking care of the kidney issue too. He’s eating renal food and all that, but this is what the vet told me, I’ll speak to them tomorrow in more detail. Thank you though! He should be fine til tomorrow right? If this is what the vet said. If there are any abnormalities, which hopefully there aren’t, ill immediately call.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Since he is eating now that he is home, he should be ok until tomorrow. I still am curious as to what surgery they are planning though. Perhaps they are going to sedate him and try to remove the impacted stool rectally? I know they do this sometimes when there is a severe back-up, but 3 - 4 days doesn't seem like it would be enough for that. Please keep us posted.

timahsm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since he is eating now that he is home, he should be ok until tomorrow. I still am curious as to what surgery they are planning though. Perhaps they are going to sedate him and try to remove the impacted stool rectally? I know they do this sometimes when there is a severe back-up, but 3 - 4 days doesn't seem like it would be enough for that. Please keep us posted.
Hello! A good update, thank god.
He pooped last night!! although it was a little, I called the vet and they said that was a good sign and we should start feeding him the medicine we were given.
Anyway, the plan was to remove it rectally if he didn't go to the bathroom, I saw the x-ray too, he was severely backed up. Like, maybe this would give more of an idea of how drastic it was but he was exhausted and could not push properly, he did not even act like himself. But today, he was asking for pets and running around, the vet said he must have pushed out a part that caused him pain, and so thats why he seems better.

jaws239

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Glad kitty is feeling better now!! I would assume vet will tell you how to avoid that in future, IF there is a way. If he doesn't, I would ask for suggestions from him.