Cat breathing

Tw101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All

I have a new ragdoll cat (almost 4 months). I've noticed he breathes funny (fast and shallow) sometimes. I'm not sure if I'm imagining things or if I'm paranoid because our previous cat died of FIP.The breathing looked a bit normal after he fell asleep. He is eating and playing as usual. I can't seem to upload a video

Soroxas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi All

I have a new ragdoll cat (almost 4 months). I've noticed he breathes funny (fast and shallow) sometimes. I'm not sure if I'm imagining things or if I'm paranoid because our previous cat died of FIP.The breathing looked a bit normal after he fell asleep. He is eating and playing as usual. I can't seem to upload a video
Ragdolls are so wonderful. I actually just had one of my cats go into respiratory distress two weeks ago, and therefore had a long discussion with the vet about identifying breathing issues. Basically, the vet said that you should barely see a cat breathing. That's normal. Anything more, like rapid rise and fall of the chest or open-mouth breathing is a sign that something isn't quite right. In my siamese's case, she ended up having heart disease.

Personally, if her breathing is noticeable, I would take her to the vet. The 15 year old ragdoll I have, I have to watch for a solid minute to notice his chest rising and falling, and he's been to the vet a lot lately and has a clean bill of health in the lung area.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tw101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey Soroxas
Thanks for replying. I think I'll take him to the vet tomorrow. It comes and goes. I'm not sure if he's anxious or I'd it happens while purring but I'm feeling uneasy.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree. I have a young adult cat with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and if he plays too much (which I try to regulate) his breathing definitely becomes a concern. Not saying that your baby has any medical issues, but I would definitely go to the vet for a reassurance.