Cat breathing irregular

E46tknv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Fatso, is about 10 years old now. Lately, I have been hearing him breath much differently then the usual from time to time. It seems like it happens at least once a day or once every 2 days. It sounds like his throat is incredibly dry or hair caught up on his mouth. I don’t know if he is sick or can fix him on my own by changing something in his habits.

I took him to the vet yesterday and he claims that he seems “normal” but this is not normal. Then again, he did a quick diagnostic without an X day since he claims this isn’t life threatening. The doctor gave Fatso a shot of Convenia yesterday. The next Morning, my animal is still doing the same thing. Does it take time for the antibiotic to begin working?

He is always inside.
He’s fed with all natural foods.

here is a direct link to him breathing. Like I said this is not all day but from time to time throughout the day.
http://www.youtube.com/shorts/_IPrNAG-Nhk

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
My Bourbon sounded like that when she was treated with URI. Please check with another vet for a second opinion.

I am not a vet. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it that Convenia is for skin infections?
I hope Fatso gets much better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

E46tknv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Bourbon sounded like that when she was treated with URI. Please check with another vet for a second opinion.

I am not a vet. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it that Convenia is for skin infections?
I hope Fatso gets much better.
You know, I just looked up Convenia and your right. It does seem to be for skin related issues which my cat does NOT have. I may need to give the vet a piece of my mind and question their motives. I hope it was an error on the receipt given to me.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Convenia is used mainly for skin infections but is also an antibiotic used for other purposes too, it is long-lasting and easier to administer than pills. your cat is 'coughing', I have heard this many times. It could be hairballs, which you might want to treat for, their are many home given treatments, even some as treats. It could be a bacterial infection in the lungs, which the antibiotic would help, it could be viral, in which case you just have to ride it out, or it could be his heart. If he continues to do this after treating for hairballs and waiting out infection to subside, ask for a simple x-ray, inexpensive and would show an enlarged heart. My Burt lived with one for MANY years on medication. It would also point out any abnormalities in the lungs such as asthma (which many cats develop). In the meantime, he would benefit from have the humidity raised through a humidifier or bringing him into a steam room such as running a hot shower in the bathroom. Just have him sit and breathe in the vapors. PS I have a cat right now that has severely scarred lungs. He is doing better on a product called Lung Gold that is a supplement for deep lung health. I get it on Amazon.

E46tknv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I called the doctor and he claims I needed to give the antibiotic 2 days for it to kick in. So I guess if I notice the same breathing within the 10 day period, then I will move onto the X ray stage.
In regards to the “coughing”, you could be right but I wouldn’t know and the doctor could not diagnose it either unless we dig deeper.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it takes at least two days, sometimes to four for an antibiotic to kick in. I hope this takes care of it. If he continues to make that sound, keep videoing him so the vet can see it, they never do it at the vets. Raising the humidity can't hurt, encourage him to drink water. All the luck!

E46tknv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I believe it’s been day 8 and he seems fine now but it’s hard to sell since I’m at work up until 4. Since it doesn’t happen so often, I’ll have to monitor it very closely