Cat bite

Baya08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So this is more about my own health than my cat’s,yesterday i was petting her and she got overexcited and bit me pretty hard and it broke my skin a little..i had one tiny puncture wound and two other wounds that looked more like scratches on my wrist.
i made sure to wash it with soap and warm water really well then applied an antiseptic solution,the wounds aren’t swollen anymore not hot not oozing but are a bit red.
The problem is that i know i might need a tetanus shot (it’s been more than 15 years since i got one) and probably a course of antibiotics BUT i called two doctors who just didn’t care and said i didn’t need it since my cat lives indoors.
with the current crisis i can’t go to the hospital where i live but im worried about infection,i was hoping to read some of your experiences with cat bites and how you dealt with it.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So this is more about my own health than my cat’s,yesterday i was petting her and she got overexcited and bit me pretty hard and it broke my skin a little..i had one tiny puncture wound and two other wounds that looked more like scratches on my wrist.
i made sure to wash it with soap and warm water really well then applied an antiseptic solution,the wounds aren’t swollen anymore not hot not oozing but are a bit red.
The problem is that i know i might need a tetanus shot (it’s been more than 15 years since i got one) and probably a course of antibiotics BUT i called two doctors who just didn’t care and said i didn’t need it since my cat lives indoors.
with the current crisis i can’t go to the hospital where i live but im worried about infection,i was hoping to read some of your experiences with cat bites and how you dealt with it.
I had a cat bite that got infected even though I washed it, bled it, put alcohol on it and then put antibiotic creme and bandaged it. That next morning I could tell by the swelling and redness to go to the doctor immediately and get an antibiotic shot. I hope that does not happen to you but if it does go to an urgent care immediately. Cat bites are extremely serious. Good Luck to you, we're keeping our paws crossed!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you did the right things when it happened. Try to keep the wound open so it will drain. Use antiseptics on the wound. If it bled, that's good. The blood will help wash out the germs.

I only had one cat bite get infected, and it wasn't all that bad. Do keep in touch with the doctor if anything seems amiss.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had a number of cat bites but only two that got infected. If it’s going to happen it is usually within 24 hours before you see significant swelling and redness. When I get a bite I try to get it to bleed and then wash it thoroughly. To keep the wound open or if it seems slightly infected you can soak it in hot water for a few minutes a couple times a day or put hot compresses on it.

A swollen red cat bite requires a doctor visit and antibiotics. Hot compresses or soaking will help the infection open up and drain.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Baya08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a cat bite that got infected even though I washed it, bled it, put alcohol on it and then put antibiotic creme and bandaged it. That next morning I could tell by the swelling and redness to go to the doctor immediately and get an antibiotic shot. I hope that does not happen to you but if it does go to an urgent care immediately. Cat bites are extremely serious. Good Luck to you, we're keeping our paws crossed!
thank you for sharing your experience,i have been keeping a close eye on it since yesterday and it doesn’t seem to be infected at all for now.

Baya08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you did the right things when it happened. Try to keep the wound open so it will drain. Use antiseptics on the wound. If it bled, that's good. The blood will help wash out the germs.

I only had one cat bite get infected, and it wasn't all that bad. Do keep in touch with the doctor if anything seems amiss.
Thank you for replying,the puncture wound didn’t bleed that much but i read on some sites than i should help it bleed by squeezing it a little and that’s what i did,i managed to get few drops of blood out..and by keeping it open you mean i shouldn’t bandage it?

Baya08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I
I have had a number of cat bites but only two that got infected. If it’s going to happen it is usually within 24 hours before you see significant swelling and redness. When I get a bite I try to get it to bleed and then wash it thoroughly. To keep the wound open or if it seems slightly infected you can soak it in hot water for a few minutes a couple times a day or put hot compresses on it.

A swollen red cat bite requires a doctor visit and antibiotics. Hot compresses or soaking will help the infection open up and drain.
it has been more than 24 hours now and it looks fine but i’m more concerned about the tetanus infection since it doesn’t show any local signs...Any infos on that? I think an indoor cat probably doesn’t carry the bacteria but do i still need to get a tetanus shot?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If your cat is indoor only, tetanus is unlikely as it is usually picked up outdoors in animals who roam. However, I am not a medical professional and am not trying to discourage you from seeking out the shot if you need it. I have been bitten several times by my indoor only cats, once severely enough to have a permanently scarred finger nail. In all cases I was able to manage it at home with meticulous cleaning and care although seeing a doctor would probably not have been a bad idea.

I was bitten once at a dog rescue event by a dog who really tore into my elbow and I did go to my doctor who basically said to keep it clean, let air get to it, and it should be fine. But watch it and if it becomes worse ask for an appointment and stress that you believe it is an emergency as you have already tried all home remedies.