Cat bite question

Vixen212

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey y'all, I'm so sorry to be posting this here but I'm not sure where else to ask and would like honest opinions. Yesterday I got attacked by one of my cats (issue resolved now with help from another member!). Anyway the bites I received aren't sore at all today except one on the back of my hand. I'm honestly just not sure if I should go have it checked out. The pain is awful, the swelling is getting worse and it hurts so bad to move my fingers. Couldn't capture the swelling in the pics but you can see the difference in between my knuckles when making a fist. Even cold water running over my hand is excruciating. These aren't the greatest pics but i tried. You should be able to see where the puncture wound is (middle of hand below ring finger) but the swelling goes up into the knuckle of my ring finger and in between the pinky/ring knuckle. It's also pretty red. Is it just the spot where she bit me or could it be the start of an infection since this is the only one that's swelling and hurting so badly? Again I apologize for posting this up, I have no one else to get an opinion from and don't want to go to the ER unless I have to. (My reg Dr couldn't get me in for another 3 weeks)

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vixen212

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, you need to have this looked at as soon as possible. Whether it's an infection that's going on or she hit a tendon or nerve or something like that, when the pain and swelling is increasing and you can't move your fingers, you really don't want to wait before getting this checked out.

Cat Bites - What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know - TheCatSite Articles
Thank you! I was leaning towards going on in but just wanted another opinion. I hate going to the ER and taking away care someone else needs it urgently but I was so conflicted just due to the way this one is acting. Never had a bite or scratch feel like this or swell like this either. I'll call around and see if maybe urgent care can get me in asap. I appreciate your opinion, thank you!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you! I was leaning towards going on in but just wanted another opinion. I hate going to the ER and taking away care someone else needs it urgently but I was so conflicted just due to the way this one is acting. Never had a bite or scratch feel like this or swell like this either. I'll call around and see if maybe urgent care can get me in asap. I appreciate your opinion, thank you!
I agree, you should let someone look at it, asap.

Although when I once got bitten by our otherwise very mild cat ("put him to a wound and it will heal"), they didnt much to the wound. But gave me a tetanus shot. - and I got swollen and got fever from that tetanus shot, not from the wound.... I know, because they gave me the shot in the other arm.

Still, let someone look at it; you will prob need antibiotics, possibly surgery if a tendon is hurt; and probably tetanus.... In USA possibly also rabies shot.
Deep wounds from cats arent nothing to take on merry.

Ps. If a cat bites for real, there is a tremendous force in the jaws. So part of the pain in your hand, isnt really from the wound, but its reaction to the sheer force of the bite... Still, whom wants to take chances? Let it be checked out; better safe than sorry.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree this needs to be looked at. Cat bites are puncture wounds making them prone to infection, any wound on the hand is also prone to infection. They can get really bad very quickly and turn into something that requires procedures and take a long time to heal.