Cat Behavior Problems After Intrduction

superfrogpoke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Around two weeks ago, we brought home a stray kitten estimated to be around 4 weeks old. The kitten was looked at by a vet and tested negative for FIV/FeLV, so we figured it would be fine to start the introduction process with our older cat, Ruby, who is around 6.

We adopted Ruby at the age of 5.5 in March. She is a bit high strung, so we have been taking things relatively slow. We followed all of the advice regarding cat introductions - separate rooms, scent swapping, etc. Things were going very smoothly so we started to let them see each other, and as they became less antagonistic, we allowed them to hang out. We were actually extremely impressed with how well Ruby acclimated - she was laying down near the kitten, and allowing the kitten to come relatively close, although she would swat him if he touched her face or came too close too fast. Things were going so well that we decided to allow them both free reign during the day, with the kitten still living in his room at night. I regret that so much now. Yesterday was day two of free reign. When I got home, Ruby was hiding in a closet. She had pooped outside of her litter box. I managed to coax her into the kitchen, but when my husband opened the front door coming home from work, she reacted to the noise by running at full speed out of the room. She also hasn't been grooming her behind properly, and seems to be sneezing a bit. Last night she became very cuddly and affectionate in the middle of the night, but this morning she was again timid and went under the bed and refused to leave. I put her litter box in our bedroom along with her food and water and put the kitten in his own room.

I am going to the vet wit her on Saturday. I feel so terrible. Have I ruined everything? It seems strange that she was doing so well with the kitten and now seems hyperreactive to any loud sounds (dropping change, doors closing, etc) and also has some physical symptoms (sneezing). I should also note that the kitten is 1.5 lbs at most and she is 9 lbs, and is able to knock him over with a flick of her paw (although she has always been extremely gentle). Is it possible to salvage this situation?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitten probably took a while to get up the nerve to pounce/play tackle her. Maybe the kitten accidentally hurt her, but more likely it was just hyper-kitten-play-attack that freaked her out. Kittens don't generally respond to cues, and the kitten likely kept trying to play for an extended period of time making things worse. All normal, although the pooping and hiding under the bed places the older cat at the scared edge of the spectrum. You didn't do anything wrong without using hindsight -- sometimes thing go well, and it seemed to be. As mentioned above, you likely got fooled by the kitten taking a while to get up the nerve to start with the pouncing.

Anyway, I'd redo the introduction process slowly, and add some calming products for when you do try to allow them to meet, Feliway Multicat Diffusers and maybe a calming collar (lots of products available). If your home permits, some suggest an intermediate period where they see each other separated via baby gate. When they are ready to interact, you'll have to supervise. Given that the kitten was separated from its mom very prematurely, it might have trouble with boundaries (most kittens do) and since your older cat is going to be too scared to set limits, you might need to break things up when the kitten gets too pouncy on the older cat. You'll want to avoid startling the older cat, (which a loud noise might do) so maybe you just hold the kitten by the scruff of the neck and the butt until he calms.

I'll be honest. This is likely going to be difficult. Not so much because of what happened - cats tend to have short memories - but because your older cat reacted so strongly and is likely to react strongly in the future. It doesn't help that you adopted a kitten separated from mom prematurely that has never had an assertive older cat to teach boundaries. You might ultimately need to see the vet about prozac to help, but first lets try redoing the introduction, going slowww, OTC calming products and close supervision when they start to interact.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: I have a Ruby, too. No kitten, though. ;)

Your kitten is very young, at only 4 weeks. Is he eating and using the litter box ok?

Sorry your Ruby isn't thrilled about her new little "brother". I would separate them, and start the introductions again. And don't leave them together, unattended, until they kitten is much older.

One thing you might want to try, is bringing the kitten along to the vet on Saturday. I've read before about a member who takes all their cats to the vet, even when only one needs to go. This is so they will all come home with the "strange" unfamiliar smell.

I'll post the articles on cat introductions. They are more focused on older cats, but you might find some helpful tips.

Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction
The Multi-cat Household

And a couple on stress:
Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats