Cat barely eats after full mouth extraction

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Delectable Lickabels in the stew flavors is my go-to for cats that won't eat. It was mentioned above and really helps. It is in the treat sections. Just get him eating whatever he will for now, he'll go back to eating normal in a few days. Cats eat kibble even with no teeth since they usually swallow most of their food.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome, sidoo!
What kind of food did gives to him?
Here is what the Original Poster is feeding, plus some meat baby food (that presumably doesn't have any garlic or other seasoning), although I missed, --or it wasn't stated, the brand of the urinary food;
Fancy Feast chicken pate, puree tubes and his soft urinary food.

Last edited:

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I worked at the cat hospital we did several full mouth extractions a week because most vets don’t want to do them.
What are the circumstances that call for such a drastic procedure? Is it just genetics, that some cats have really bad teeth?

Also, what is the typical age of a cat that needs this? Or is it all over the place, depending on genetics?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A lot does depend on genetics, so age isn't much of a reliable indicator. Usually, or especially, when stomatitis is involved, the teeth will continue to go bad, so full mouth extractions prevent a cat from having to go through several procedures doing a few teeth at a time.
Stomatitis In Cats: Causes, Symptoms, & Treatment - Cats.com

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are the circumstances that call for such a drastic procedure? Is it just genetics, that some cats have really bad teeth?

Also, what is the typical age of a cat that needs this? Or is it all over the place, depending on genetics?
My last cat had what I call a RME (remaining mouth extraction) because by the time the vets put their foot down and sent me to a dentist, she hardly had a full mouth left. In Krista’s case, she had tooth resorption. Starting at age thirteen when she started peeing the walls to get my attention (luckily the vet knew what to look for and she stopped peeing the walls after that first round of extractions) and every several months until she finally saw the dentist at 15, her eating would dip off and I would have to beg my vet for another dental despite having just had one withIn six months to a year. And sure enough when I finally convinced them to do it, they’d find more teeth or more roots giving her grief.

Betty has only had two to deal with and knock on wood, her teeth don’t seem to be bothering her anymore. But I know a dentist if she starts down that same road.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually, or especially, when stomatitis is involved, the teeth will continue to go bad, so full mouth extractions prevent a cat from having to go through several procedures doing a few teeth at a time.
And sure enough when I finally convinced them to do it, they’d find more teeth or more roots giving her grief.
Interesting. I've only ever had one cat, and over the last better part of a decade, at every vet checkup, his teeth have been fine. He's never needed any dental work in 8-9 years. So I guess he has good dental genetics.

Of course, I know that everything can be a genetic lottery with cats, just like with humans. It just seems so extreme to me to pull all teeth (not saying I feel it's unwarranted -- I know it's highly variable depending on the individual -- I just haven't been exposed to cat dental problems yet).

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Tooth resorption is way more common than people realise. I think there a lot of cats out there who suffer from it, as they hide pain so well. But it's easy to spot.. redness around the gumline has taken Sundar straight to the vet.. he's had virtually all of his out from it now.

tml1991 tml1991 the treats that di and bob suggested are a good way to go. Sundar had a mass of extractions the first time and it took him quite some time to get over it, but the 'licky treats' served him well. He had more out recently and that's how I dealt with the lack of eating, once again.
Do keep up the pain meds.. it's a lot of teeth to have out, and a cat's mouth is very important to them, not just for eating, but grooming etc. They do find it difficult, in my experience, but they get there in the end and are so much better. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's eating more each day, but still not fully what he used to before his stomatitis became an issue. How long does it usually take for a cat to fully recover from full mouth extractions? His mouth is looking more pink than red now too. Some places on his mouth still look a little red, but nothing like it was before where his mouth looked red all over

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
His mouth is looking more pink than red now too. Some places on his mouth still look a little red, but nothing like it was before where his mouth looked red all over
This is wonderful news! I don't know how long until full recovery, but it sounds like he's doing really well :vibes::heartshape:

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He's eating more each day, but still not fully what he used to before his stomatitis became an issue. How long does it usually take for a cat to fully recover from full mouth extractions? His mouth is looking more pink than red now too. Some places on his mouth still look a little red, but nothing like it was before where his mouth looked red all over
I'm glad for both of you.