Cat attcks hands and arms bend down to feed her

Jojocat123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently obtained a somewhat feral cat who was in a home and escaped for a week and was found outside. The cat has began warming up to me and when I am sitting she will come by to be pet if I have a treat. The cat is very threatened when I bend down to give her food though from a standing position. When I walk in with the food she will start purring and rubbing her body on my legs but as soon as I bend down she tries to scratch or bite me. How do I change this type of aggression toward me bending down to give her food or water because she will follow me toward the bowl and then hit me?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My cat bites when hungry
This may or may not be exactly what you are referring to...not because you did not explain it properly. I might be picturing something differently.

What else do you know about the cat? On the face of it, this sounds like food aggression based on possible hunger and anxiety about grabbing the food right away.

Does the fact that you bend down from a standing position seem to make this worse? Can you offer food in a different way? Place the bowl on the floor and slide it gently over to the cat with an instrument or tool of some kind?

Hitting your ankle is part of a prey drive and probably related to the desire for food.

This should settle once the cat knows that he has a stable home and food, but in the meantime watch yourself.