Cat Attacks Me!

Gozoman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi folks. My last cat died at the age of almost 18 a couple of months ago. She was a gentle old giant weighing in at 14 pounds weight. The house was empty without her so I have adopted another rescue cat, this time a two and a half year old male who weighs in at half the weight of my last big girl, but boy does he make up for it! He is a very loving cat and right from the first night has lay beside me in bed at night. However at least a few times a day and sometimes at night he goes into attack mode. He will grab my arm with his claws and try to bite me to the point where he has had his claws stuck in my arm and has drawn blood. The lady I got him from says to pull my arm away and say no! Why didn't I think of that! Obviously that doesn't work as he just waits for me to look away and then attacks again. When he's in this mood he will also try to lure me in my lying on his back and looking really innoceant hoping I will stroke his belly. But that is just a trap for an all out attack on my arm. Now I know he is still young and I know this is probably his idea of playing but for the sake of my limbs is there anything I can do to stop these attacks? I should point out that I have never and never would hit a cat to try and stop it doing this or any other behaviour so hopefully someone can provide me with a peaceful solution. Oh and please don't say he will grow out of it by the time he's 12!

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
This is pretty natural hunting practice behavior for young cats. Does he have a largish stuffed toy you can substitute for your arm?
As for the deterrent aspect, I prefer to use noises that are natural to them, growling and hissing are pretty good feline indicators that someone is upset.
So, when the attack occurs I would growl and hiss, dislodge him, and then substitute with the stuffed toy. Also, if you can catch the signals (ears back, tail twitching, crouching, rolling) you can use the stuffed toy as a preemptive move, making it the primary target instead of your limbs. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gozoman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for that. I got him a big catnip fish but he prefers the arm. I'll try the hissing and growling and see if that deters him.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Gozoman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Many thanks. I'll have a look through those.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say that if the catnip fish isn't working, you might have to try something else, until you find the thing that truly catches his interest.
I had one cat who loved to fight with a white stuffed seal I'd had hanging around. It was just the right size (almost as big as the cat) and shape for her to attack and fully wrap around and bunny kick to her heart's content.
Several years later, another young cat's favorite toy was a small bat that had floppy wings; that poor bat got slobbered on a lot. :lol:
Each of those toys had very different shape, size, and even texture; each cat had their own preference.
Also, I personally stay away from catnip, as it can actually increase the aggressive mood. :evilgrin:

Gozoman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got him a bear the other day but it's probably not big enough. I've taken to spraying my arms with Feliway!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried trimming his claws yet? My kitten is at the age where she goes from purring to grabbing my hand/arm and bunny thumping. I'm sure she would draw blood if I didn't keep those sharp points snipped off her claws.

I wait 'til she's relaxed and napping, and snip as many claws as I can before she starts to get fussy. Sometimes it takes two days to blunt all the tips off the daggers, one or two at a time.

Gozoman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No I haven't clipped them yet. Tried it once and he went ape-s*it! I used to trim my old girls claws no problem but this little man is a fighter. He has a bit of an infection at the moment and I'm injecting him every other day with antibiotics. I have to take him back to the vet next Monday for another check-up so I'll probably get the vet to trim them when I'm there. That way I might survive the experience!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to take him back to the vet next Monday for another check-up so I'll probably get the vet to trim them when I'm there. That way I might survive the experience!
I know it doesn't solve the behavior issue, but you can buy fewer Band-Aids. :p

Gozoman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's the odd thing. He started out a couple of weeks ago as a really affectionate wee cat. He would lie beside me and was really gentle and relaxed. Now he's turned into a Gremlin!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, that's because he's got his Mojo working, and isn't shy and timid of a new place any more.

And he's a bit older, more toddler than baby now.

Gozoman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great! Now I have a feline Mojo to contend with!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He actually should begin to calm down significantly in the next six months or so. Wand-type toys are your best friends. Wear him flat out, lying down and panting, two or three times a day!