Cat ate seasoning w garlic/onion - need advice

Hiimsoreen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! Unfortunately I made a huge mistake today and am extremely worried for my cat. I had made pork steaks with fajita seasoning (contains garlic, onion, paprika, salt, pepper, etc). I used a plate for the steaks to cool before putting them in the fridge, and afterward a layer of gel (just the usual stuff that comes off of meats - the congealed juices) coated the plate. I had planned to clean it later in the day, and covered it with a rag to prevent my cats from eating it.

Obviously - it didn’t work. My 3 year old tuxedo male ended up digging the rag off and having a taste, not very much thankfully but I’m extremely worried none the less.

He's obviously ingested the fajita seasoning along with the pork steak juices, I know even the smallest amount of onion/garlic can very bad for a cat so id like to know what others think.

Take him to the vet right away or wait and see if he gets sick? I’m not even sure the quantity of the garlic/onion he even consumed nor if it is enough to make him sick. The only vet I can’t take my cats to is an hour and twelve minutes away - and very expensive.

Advice would be very helpful! What would you do?

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like it was a very small amount.
I’d probably try to get him to drink some extra water (maybe flavored with a small bit of tuna juice). Then wait to see how he does with his appetite.
If he starts throwing up (often, more than twice) and goes off his appetite, then I’d call the vet. Even if you can’t get him in immediately, they should at least give you a consult.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with the above. I have given Feeby fish that has been seasoned with garlic and onion powder and it has never been an issue.