Cat ate plastic bag

jasmine2019

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 1 year old kitty yoda found a ziplock bag with a couple of treats and ate almost the whole bag. This happened 3 days ago. 2 days ago he started vomiting foam in the middle of the night and this has continued throughout today. The last time he threw up was 12 hours ago. I took him to the vet and he got x-rayed and the vet said he will most likely pass it because the plastic is very thin and there is no major blockage that he could see. He said he could see stool in his colon. Im concerned because he has only pooped once since this happened which was yesterday at 12pm. There also was small bits of plastic in the last stool. I asked about a laxative and he said he does not need one because it looked like his stool was moving down to the end of the colon. This was 5 hours ago and he still has not pooped. He is acting completely normal, playing, eating, drinking, urinating and purring. He got fluids and a shot of cerenia to help with the nausea. He hasn’t thrown up since and doesnt seem nauseous anymore. The vet said if he started to vomit in the next 24 hours he would need to go to the ER because it could be a blockage. Im still so nervous and have not slept in 3 days, would he be showing symptoms like fatigue and not eating by now if he had a blockage? Can a blockage occur now if its been 3 days.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats use the box once a day. I agree with the vet that it is passing through plus he's still eating. Do you feed him canned? He needs the fluids also tiki sticks or churu tubes. My female cat with ibd ate dental floss last week on Fri. She stopped eating. I was able to have her stay over night for fluids on Monday. He got her to eat next day. She is senior.If her vet said her colon was empty, she was not eating and xray showed something then surgery but she's fine. Best you can do is watch him

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jasmine2019

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats use the box once a day. I agree with the vet that it is passing through plus he's still eating. Do you feed him canned? He needs the fluids also tiki sticks or churu tubes. My female cat with ibd ate dental floss last week on Fri. She stopped eating. I was able to have her stay over night for fluids on Monday. He got her to eat next day. She is senior.If your vet said her colon was empty had she was not eating and xray showed something then surgery but she's fine. Best you can do is watch him
Yes he gets 1 can of tiki cat after dark food a day. He’s not currently on dry food because of diet issues. I recently switched him to tiki and he also usually goes once a day now. He just has not gone since yesterday so I am a little concerned even though the vet thought it was most likely fine. It’s probably just my anxiety getting the best of me. I hope your kitty is okay now.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
One of my dogs once ate a very large portion of a pee pad, which is plastic backed. It all passed through in one big piece, so in theory I can see what your vet is telling you. But watch your cat and if something seems wrong, go back to the vet.

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes he gets 1 can of tiki cat after dark food a day. He’s not currently on dry food because of diet issues. I recently switched him to tiki and he also usually goes once a day now. He just has not gone since yesterday so I am a little concerned even though the vet thought it was most likely fine. It’s probably just my anxiety getting the best of me. I hope your kitty is okay now.
so updates on this?