Cat ate pistachio shells

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, my. This morning I noticed my Juno scratching the window sill as though to bury something. Upon investigation, she had vomited (or regurgitated) some food, plus two pistachio shells I must have carelessly dropped last night. Vomit otherwise appeared normal.

Since I didn't see her eat the shells, I can't be sure it was only two. What should I be on the lookout for, in terms of an obstruction? Since this morning, Juno's appetite has been a little low, though she's eating enough for that not to be an independent problem. She also had a normal (for her) BM this evening.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
According to the ASPCA, if enough of the pistachios were eaten it could cause GI distress or pancreatitis. In the case when the shells were eaten it could possibibly cause a bowel obstruction.

Keep a close eye on your kitty and see she is not throwing up anymore, seems to be in GI distress, having bad diarrhea, or not being able to go to the bathroom at all. Take your kitty to the vet immediately if you feel she us suffering adverse effects from consuming pistachios shells. Perhaps for the time being you could give her laxatone to keep her well lubricated so it helps her go to the bathroom with less problems. I wish you all the best and hope everything will be okay.🙂
https://www.aspca.org/news/internet-myths-and-rumors-pet-toxin-edition#

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I would also suggest calling your vet to explain what happened and ask their advice. The old saying rings true, i.e. better safe than sorry. 😉