Cat ate half of a paper plate

rebeccaizard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been sick in bed for a few days so started feeding my cat (7months old/4kg) from small/side paper plates to save on washing up. The first days were fine but I just went to feed him and saw that he ate almost half of the small plate ! I know it's just paper but I'm pretty worried due to the amount of it... does anyone know if this is something that requires immediate intervention or will it likely just pass while keeping and eye out?

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Many cats eat both paper and cardboard, so personally I don't think there is much to be worried about unless the paper plate was treated with something to make it waterproof, etc. Then it would be kind of waxy I would imagine. It doesn't look like it is, but can't really tell from the picture.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Shortly after I adopted my Ruby, while she was in her food obsessed state, she ate a muffin paper. Being a nervous new cat mama, I called the vet, who said it should just digest in her stomach, but to keep an eye on her. I did, and she was fine. A muffin paper, of course, is a lot less paper than part of a paper plate, but hopefully your cat will be fine. If you have a regular vet, though, might not hurt to just call and see what they say, especially since he's still a kitten. And since he's a kitten, wonder if he's teething, and that's why he chewed the paper plate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rebeccaizard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so it's been a few days now and everything seemed ok but he suddenly just threw up some clumped together paper plate. Definitely bigger than the size of a golf ball... I'm glad he threw it up but now I'm very worried that there is more and could cause an obstruction? I will call my vet when they open but any advise would be great

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he threw up that much I would doubt he has an obstruction. Paper plate should digest, but obviously, his stomach is treating it like a hairball. If it was as big as a golfball, that should be most of it. I would watch him for a few days, and make sure he is peeing, pooping, and eating. Give him plenty of water and he should be fine. If he stops eating, starts hiding, get him in to the vet and explain what happened. It was paper and not styrofoam was it? As big as that was that he threw up, he should be OK. Just watch him.

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just for more info, how much of the missing paper plate was in the throw-up ?
And I don't think you ever said whether the paper plates was coated or un-coated ?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy the coated paper plates so the gravy stays on the plate instead of being absorbed by the plate.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he's peeing and pooping, he doesn't have an obstruction, but if he's vomiting, that may be an obstruction. I would get him to the vet for an x-ray.