Cat ate a poisonous plant

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey my cat has been vomiting out everything it eats, a few days ago he was vomiting everyday once we went to the vet and they said it's because of indigestion,so we gave him the medicine and he was fine for 5 days until on the 6th day he started vomiting everything that goes into his mouth except for water,our vet gave us dewormimg tablet but he would spit it out,so we are planning to pill him again,but then i noticed that for the past 3 days he has been chewing on a this grass/plant he never chews on grass but since most of the animals chew on grass to soothe their digestion i thought it was a normal behavior until i suspect that plant might be poisonous .and today i found out it was a weed called "setaria verticillata"( pic attached) i found it on google and it says it's noxious,of anyone know what this weed is or how poisonous it is ?is it even poisonous?please let me know,also i called the vet yesterday when i didn't know bout my cat eating the whole weed thing my vet told me to first administer the deworming pill (a bit irritated) i am afraid if i tale him to the vet regarding that poisonous weed he will again ask me to pill him first,what should i do ? Should i give him the deworming pill and then wait for a few hours and see if it's the parasites or the toxin ?

Attachments

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey my cat has been vomiting out everything it eats, a few days ago he was vomiting everyday once we went to the vet and they said it's because of indigestion,so we gave him the medicine and he was fine for 5 days until on the 6th day he started vomiting everything that goes into his mouth except for water,our vet gave us dewormimg tablet but he would spit it out,so we are planning to pill him again,but then i noticed that for the past 3 days he has been chewing on a this grass/plant he never chews on grass but since most of the animals chew on grass to soothe their digestion i thought it was a normal behavior until i suspect that plant might be poisonous .and today i found out it was a weed called "setaria verticillata"( pic attached) i found it on google and it says it's noxious,of anyone know what this weed is or how poisonous it is ?is it even poisonous?please let me know,also i called the vet yesterday when i didn't know bout my cat eating the whole weed thing my vet told me to first administer the deworming pill (a bit irritated) i am afraid if i tale him to the vet regarding that poisonous weed he will again ask me to pill him first,what should i do ? Should i give him the deworming pill and then wait for a few hours and see if it's the parasites or the toxin ?
It can be deadly:
Foxtail plant a threat to dogs, cats and horses

No, I personally wouldn't give the deworming medicine and if you can I would take your cat to an emergency vet.
If your cat keeps vomiting he's likely dehydrated. If the vomiting started prior to the plant I would say something else likely triggered it. Did the vet check your cats teeth? I had a cat that had an abcessed tooth I didn't know about and he vomitted continuously - I had to take him to the ER vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It can be deadly:
Foxtail plant a threat to dogs, cats and horses

No, I personally wouldn't give the deworming medicine and if you can I would take your cat to an emergency vet.
If your cat keeps vomiting he's likely dehydrated. If the vomiting started prior to the plant I would say something else likely triggered it. Did the vet check your cats teeth? I had a cat that had an abcessed tooth I didn't know about and he vomitted continuously - I had to take him to the ER vet.
I am just worried that it it's not poison and he is given a poison injection it might cause serious harm please help

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I am just worried that it it's not poison and he is given a poison injection it might cause serious harm please help
I'm not sure what a poison injections is? An antitoxin? I am not a vet nor able to give you sound advice other than to seek medical help and make sure the cat is staying hydrated.
I'm sure someone else here will be able to provide more guidance.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, from what I can tell it's not poisonous as such, but it's not a good thing for a cat to come into contact with or eat.

This is from feelgoodhealth;
Certain grasses such as Rooigras (Themeda triandra), Spear grass or Assegaaigras and Bur Bristle grass (Setaria verticillata) have seeds that stick to and penetrate surfaces. The grass seeds penetrates the nose, eyes, eyelids, ears, gums or soft palate and even between the toes. As soon as the seed comes into contact with the skin, it pricks it, the dog licks the area which causes the seed to penetrate the skin and swelling may occur.
Symptoms to watch for: Depending on the location and shape of the seed, there will be different symptoms. If the seed lodges in the ear, your pet may scratch or rub the ear, shake his head. If the eye is affected, it will be red or inflamed. Seeds in the nose will cause sneezing or nasal discharge. If the skin is affected, he may chew at an area or abscesses may develop.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Last edited:

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, from what I can tell it's not poisonous as such, but it's not a good thing for a cat to come into contact with or eat.

This is from feelgoodhealth;
Certain grasses such as Rooigras (Themeda triandra), Spear grass or Assegaaigras and Bur Bristle grass (Setaria verticillata) have seeds that stick to and penetrate surfaces. The grass seeds penetrates the nose, eyes, eyelids, ears, gums or soft palate and even between the toes. As soon as the seed comes into contact with the skin, it pricks it, the dog licks the area which causes the seed to penetrate the skin and swelling may occur.
Symptoms to watch for: Depending on the location and shape of the seed, there will be different symptoms. If the seed lodges in the ear, your pet may scratch or rub the ear, shake his head. If the eye is affected, it will be red or inflamed. Seeds in the nose will cause sneezing or nasal discharge. If the skin is affected, he may chew at an area or abscesses may develop.
Exactly and that's what confusing me some say it's deadly some that it just affects skin,and i bet the vet we have,have no knowledge bout the grass either the vet on the phone t0ld me ,"bring him to the clinic and if you are saying he ate a poisonous plant we would give him this injection we have"

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Exactly and that's what confusing me some say it's deadly some that it just affects skin,and i bet the vet we have,have no knowledge bout the grass either the vet on the phone t0ld me ,"bring him to the clinic and if you are saying he ate a poisonous plant we would give him this injection we have"
Could you elaborate on the injection? Right now the important thing is to ensure hydration otherwise you are going to really have some issues.

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Could you elaborate on the injection? Right now the important thing is to ensure hydration otherwise you are going to really have some issues.
Okay i will make sure to ask him that,idk what injection he is talking about,i will talk bout hydration as he is also vomiting dewormers and we couldn't deworm him for the past few months coz he went missing but last check he was fine. Idk,we are taking him to the vet,i thought maybe i should give him the dewormer and then see if the symptoms are in control but the vet says if it's poison he might die,but what if he fails to ensure that it is poison and based on my info he gives him an injection?

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay i will make sure to ask him that,idk what injection he is talking about,i will talk bout hydration as he is also vomiting dewormers and we couldn't deworm him for the past few months coz he went missing but last check he was fine. Idk,we are taking him to the vet,i thought maybe i should give him the dewormer and then see if the symptoms are in control but the vet says if it's poison he might die,but what if he fails to ensure that it is poison and based on my info he gives him an injection?
So if I understand you correctly, you don't live where veterinarian medicine is up to the standards of the modern world and cats are not as important as other countries. BASED on what you have shared, I don't think (I may be incorrect) that worms are your issue here.
I will restate: Your cat is going to dehydrate if not already and fluids are of utmost importance.

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So if I understand you correctly, you don't live where veterinarian medicine is up to the standards of the modern world and cats are not as important as other countries. BASED on what you have shared, I don't think (I may be incorrect) that worms are your issue here.
I will restate: Your cat is going to dehydrate if not already and fluids are of utmost importance.
Yes you are 100% correct it always scares me when i have to tKe my beloved cat to the vet specially if the problem is big and they are not very experienced ,i don't think worms are the issue either although he has missed dewormer for a few month there has never been worms in his vomit or feaces ,but there is one thing that he has been vomiting before eating that plant too for which i took him to the vet gave him 2 of the 3 medicine on the prescription except for the dewormer (the vet is persistently asking me to give him),his state was much better until yesterday he started vomiting everything in his system and threw up the dewormer,
Now it could be 3 things
1 toxin or poison
2 the previous problem indigestion/worms which became worse in a few days
3 a new issue
I don't want these inexperienced vet to give him any kind of inject untill he is 100% sure of the poison,not because i just said so,i feel really helpless sometimes in this area,please pray for my cat.

Also what can i do for hydration and fluid and stuff i gave hum broth that he vimited what could possibly be done for hydration are their any medicines or stuff?

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A quick update,my brother took him to the get and the vet was actually ready with the injection i still don't know what injection,like i imagined he did not even ask question like what kind of plant has he been chewing on,if it's really toxic or not,he was going to give him the inject only based on my info without trying to inquire more bout it,my brother called me and i told him i am not sure if it's the poison causing the vomit,that's when he said "oh then i might not wanna give him the injection,you should take him to a better hospital in this another city for blood test and stuff" he was rushing to give my cat an injection tho my brother asked him to talk to me on the phone he said "is your sister the vet or me" thank god he didn't just give him any injection,he sold us 5 sachets of ors with pobiotics? And told me that my pet is not dehydrated,now what i don't know is whether i should give him the ors with probiotics or not as he said my pet cat is not dehydrated,also he has vomited like 6-7 times since yesterday morning,we somehow gave him the dewormer hoping he would not vomit that,and we are going to give him this vomit controll medication with food today,so he eats smth and not vomits it,and then if it doesn't work we will be sure that it's definitely not worms and take him to another city for treatment i am not sure about giving him ors tho, also i wanna add that the vet did not consider dehydration or it's supplement until i asked him bout it (dissappointing) he didn't even check if my pet is dehydrated,he checked after i asked him to which was after him selling us the ors solution,it's very scary to take pets to the vet here god that is why i try to talk to you guys, some of you have a lot of experience and some of you have contact with nice professional vets if possible please do give me some direction talking to them,if you could contact them,you guys give me a lot of hope.i really love my cat i really do he is so desperate for food and hungry let's hope he recovers soon,thanks for the help everyone. Please pray for our baby. It's is 1st birthday on 16

Last edited:

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry about the quality of care where you live. While we can give you suggestions based on our knowledge and experience, we are not able to give medical advise, Here is a video check for dehydration.