Cat and clavamox

Addy's Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My beautiful black tabby, Addy had a serious um, anal gland infection that required surgery and an antibiotic, clavamox. While she was on the clavamox she had terrible diarrhea which was sort of helped by pectalin and prednisilone. She has been on the pred for years for IBS, so that's an ongoing issue. We stopped the clavamox and about a week later now she is just throwing up and has loose stool again. She is on Hills z/d which she has been for years. She also takes forta flora. She is scheduled for an ultrasound next week.

I'm just wondering if going OFF the antibiotic might have caused the tummy upset. I know for me personally when I take an abx it messes with me for weeks afterwards.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Most of the time being ON an antibiotic can cause stomach upset and diarrhea. A week later seems a bit too long, especially considering she is just now vomiting. But just as you have said it has happened to you, so it could be happening to her too. Try saccharomyces boulardii as a probiotic rather than Forti Flora to see if it might be of more benefit to her digestive system.

Hopefully other members will come along soon with more helpful suggestions/information.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Addy's Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. Yeah, its been 2 weeks since her last dose. Hoping being on Cerenia daily will clear it up. Poor baby, I feel so bad for her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Addy's Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yikes I forgot to add she was diagnosed with diabetes back in May; she has responded well to daily insulin injections 2u Prozinc. However, the last couple days her glucose stick was 151 and 161; doc said not to give her insulin until she is over 150, because of the barfing I am withholding today as well.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My experience using Clavamox with cats is that all side effects go away within just a couple days of stopping. I really don't think the vomiting at this late date is caused by the Clavamox, BUT since she has IBD, I guess anything goes. What does your Vet say about it? How long has she been on Cerenia and if it's not working, I'd ask the Vet for a different anti-emetic.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My vet won't even prescribe Clavamox because so many cats have negative reactions. It would cause one of my previous kitties to vomit and another had raging diarrhea.