Votes: 0 0.0%
  • allegra

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Fatdream

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've tried Claritin (generic ), does nothing for me , sneeze, cough, clear drips from nose
Benadryl is a little better but still the same symptoms.
Allegra also does not work for me

What allergy pills worked for cats, what worked for you ?
Should I try Flonase ? or Zyrtec . I already have 3 bottles that are useless and hoping that the next one I buy will work .
Please help . I said I'd give my adopted cat a month for me to adjust before I consider taking her back but I can't be miserable the whole time

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fatdream

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also had a kenalog shot and its affect ons seasonal allergy is good but cat , minimal if any

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Talk to your doctor. They've had some success in dealing with cat allergies, but I've never heard that over the counter medications work for this.
I agree completely! :thumbsup: Make an appointment with an allergist who also specializes in immunology. This is their area of expertise and they will be able to recommend the appropriate medication to treat your allergies. Good luck. :goodluck:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Talk with your doctor. Long term, allergy shots may help lessen your reaction. I did shots for five years and it is somewhat better. As for daily, I do Zyrtec every morning plus Flonase. I usually do one spray of Flonase but will up it to two if symptoms are extra bad. The thing about Zyrtec and Allergra is it takes several days of regular use to really level out and control it. I keep Benadryl on hand but tend to use it only maybe two or three times a month and typically for non-cat related allergies.

The other issue is controlling your environment. Limit allergens by keeping the home clean, change bedding regularly, eliminate allergen surfaces by cleaning throws or pillows frequently (and limiting how much you have out).

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Talk with your doctor. Long term, allergy shots may help lessen your reaction. I did shots for five years and it is somewhat better. As for daily, I do Zyrtec every morning plus Flonase.
:yeah: but I've been getting shots over 10 years now.

As Kieka Kieka mentioned, there are ways to control your environment. There are some suggestions in this article:

Living With Cat Allergy

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree - see an allergist.
You need a multi-prong approach. I take a daily allergy pill, use Nasacort and medicated eye drops when needed too. Also purchased 2 very highly rated air purifiers. One in the bedroom (necessary) and the other in our main living area. All of these helped me enormously. I have seasonal allergies and am allergic to cats as it turns out.
I considered allergy shots but the above have helped me enough not to have to go through the time and expense of the shots.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am speaking here on behalf of my husband. He has tried them all. Allegra works better for him. He was prescribed a nasal spray too. He doesn't use it much as any steroid nasal spray can have some effects on eye pressure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fatdream

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I seem to do well with Allegra combined with Flonase which is what I tried yesterday. My doctor actually told me to use Flonase for my year round allergy but I never did because I got the kenalog shot. Can I use Flonase indefinitely if its a steroid ?

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is some concern that steroid nasal sprays can cause eye pressure to increase. You might want to discuss this with the doctor who prescribed it for you and with your eye doctor.
F Fatdream .

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I am allergic to cats. It takes our bodies 3 to 6 months to build immunity. They may try allergy shots but my allergist wouldn't give me a shot for cats. Said I am already exposed to cats. This was in the 1990s. I did the shots for 5 years. Makes a huge difference if you are not set off by everything.

I suffered horrible sinus infections from allergies because I was running ragged with headaches tired drippy nose uggg the itchy throat. I wanted to scratch out my throat!!

I found I am less allergic to long hair kitties. My short hair girl still makes my eyes itch. If I pet her I have to wash hands and face.

Also take a damp clothe and run it along the cats back. This helps pull the dander off cat which is what is making you miserable.

Keep kitty off your bed until your body builds immunity. Wash comforter monthly if not biweekly.
Vacuum vacuum vacuum.

I change clothes if someone is shedding all over me before go to bed so fur isn't in my bed. It takes 3 to 6 months for most allergy prone people to build immunity.

Sudafed is my best friend during the spring and going over other peoples homes with cats. I'm very allergic to horse so i can't even be in same room without benedryl.

Get yourself allergy tested. It will tell you exactly what's causing the outbreak. Mine was horse. Then grass, and then trees and cats. The horse part blew up to the size of a silver dollar...back then it was a prick board of various things they stamped onto my arms and then see what one gets a big bubble.

Eventually I was able to give myself allergy shots once a week then biweekly then monthly.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Oh and bathing kitty helps...there's a trick to it...will explain tomorrow...my method I use..

I totally understand how miserable you feel. Try wearing a dust mask or a hospital mask over your mouth/nose to see if that helps..a friend I have wears dust masks outside due to grass allergy...maybe it will help..