Cat allergies or infection?

Kayllss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! So my boy spud has been acting very lethargic lately. Sleeps a lot instead of wanting to be outside. He does this thing where he acts like he wants to sneeze (or cough?) but it doesn’t come out. He eats and drinks like normal but he looks super thin. I’m taking him to the vet this week but I was wondering if anyone had any similar experiences??? I posted a link to a video of him doing what I was trying to explain.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have no clue. He's clearly in distress, though. I'm glad you have that appointment. And PLEASE let us know what the vet says! We'll be fretting about him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kayllss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have no clue. He's clearly in distress, though. I'm glad you have that appointment. And PLEASE let us know what the vet says! We'll be fretting about him.
I will for sure! I’m really concerned about him 😢

Kayllss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's very concerning. I'd be sure to show that to the vet.
I’m going to! I’ve been trying to get videos of him doing everything cos it’s hard to describe! I’m worried and nervous. I’ve lost 2 cats already this year I don’t think I can handle another 😭

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The other thing I can think of if he's doing this, almost gagging, and maybe even spitting up a little bit of clear fluid, it could be asthma or excessive post nasal drip. I have a girl who does these deep gulps and acts like she's gagging or going to throw up, but produces nothing. She's been diagnosed with mild asthma.

Kayllss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The other thing I can think of if he's doing this, almost gagging, and maybe even spitting up a little bit of clear fluid, it could be asthma or excessive post nasal drip. I have a girl who does these deep gulps and acts like she's gagging or going to throw up, but produces nothing. She's been diagnosed with mild asthma.
He does gag while doing this but I never see anything come out! In the video it’s hard to hear but the shaking is him breathing in. It almost looks & sounds like he’s reverse sneezing and then sometimes he’ll sneeze normal and then he’s done for a lil bit. He’s never had any issues like this before tho.
How’s your cat get along with having asthma? Is there any sort of treatment or just try to avoid things that cause it?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Her case is mild and usually triggered by seasonal changes. She gets a prednisolone shot and it lasts for several months. I have a male kitty whose asthma is worse, and he requires prednisone pills to keep his in check when he has asthma attacks. We usually do a 3 day round and it lasts for several weeks. Many asthmatic kitties use a nebullizer to help them.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you are taking him to the vet. Please let us know how things go. 🍀

If he eats and drinks normal but he lost weight, I would first suspect of worms. I wonder if it's possible to cause abdominal stress like this. I guess it would be unusual if he ate normal and didn't have digestive symptoms like vomiting or diarrhea, but just to be prepared, if I were you I would check his stools and maybe take a bit of a sample with you to the vet in case they suspect of worms as well and need to test.

If it is allergies/asthma, can you think of anything that recently changed in the house?