Cat Aggression

mrsgrecs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I’m new here and was hoping to get some insight on my cats.

I have three cats in total but the issue is between two cats in particular. My female cat I’ve had since she was a kitten- she’s now around four. And my male cat I got when he was one, I’ve had him around two and a half years. The male is neutered, the female is not spayed.

A few weeks ago my female cat suddenly started attacking the male. We thought it was just a little spat but it’s continued for weeks now. She stalks and attacks him and guards the food and the litter boxes. She doesn’t show this same aggression towards the other female cat, only the male. We didn’t realize the litter box was an issue until we noticed him squatting and going in a hidden area. My husband tried to carry him down to the litter box and the female cat flew down the stairs, tail and back all fluffed up and tried to attack him. So we are guessing he doesn’t even try to use the litter box now because she attacks him. We have also had to start feeding him in a separate location with his own bowl. We have four litter boxes downstairs. One for each cat plus an extra. The fighting has gotten out of control and my husband is at the point he wants one gone to stop the fighting. Why the sudden aggression?? Especially only towards one cat and not the other?? Is there anything I can do or rehoming one really the only option..? Any advice is appreciated!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2: Sorry you are having kitty issues between 2 of your cats.

Did anything change in your house, or with your cats, before the aggression started? Though sometimes it can be something like one cat hearing or seeing another cat outside and blaming one of her "siblings" for whatever spooked her.

Have you discussed the aggression with your vet? I almost wonder if it's something hormonal. The female isn't in heat, is she? Is there a reason why she hasn't been spayed?

Hopefully some other members will reply with additional comments/suggestions. Meanwhile, here are a few TCS articles that may be helpful:

How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight
How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction
Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Super good info from rubysmama rubysmama . A couple points, you are going to need a litterbox where the male can feel safe, maybe for always.
If you need to keep him in a room by himself til things get worked out, I'd suggest that.
Get her spayed, then start on the reintroductions.
natures miracle or nonscents pet odor are good cleaners. Good luck let us know how things go!