Cat Afraid After Playing With Feather Toy...

Dexterryu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I've been trying to exercise my two cats more and they LOVE the chase toy with the feathers attached to a string/wand. Unfortunately, there was a small mistake on my part. One cat had the toy locked down a bit, and when I thought it was free I'd pull it away. Typically, they love this and aggressively chase it. Once however, I made a mistake. My one cat had the feathers pinned down a bit and when it came loose it came out quick and smacked my other cat right in the face. Ever since that moment, anytime that toy comes out the cat that got hit in the face slinks away.

I am trying to build his confidence back up with the toy because he was doing really good with it and getting great exercise. If anyone has some tips/techniques to get him moving again I'd appreciate hearing it. He'll still chase the laser a bit but will get bored quickly. I want to make sure he's getting exercise.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try switching out the toy part for a different one. There is a tiny mouse called “Da bird” (or something very close) that you could attach and maybe the cat that got hit wouldn’t be afraid of it. You could also try to teach your cats to fetch. That is an awesome game and great exercise. Happy to post the How To if you are interested.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try getting some catnip spray for the toy that's become the problem, or if catnip doesn't have any effect try honeysuckle.
Or find another toy with something attached, as mentioned, and again, try catnip or honeysuckle. Or, while supervising, just use a plain old string...;)

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aww it’s not your fault! You didn’t mean to and they will eventually get over it. I agree with susanm9006 susanm9006 great ideas! A new “lure”, and he can’t be hit by a laser pointer! (Just a note: my cat wanted nothing to do with the laser at first, now she loves it! I am careful not to overdo it (or let her catch it, she’s too smart and the gig would be up!):) I toss her something to beat up afterward so she doesn’t get frustrated.)
Also try the cat dancer, it’s usually the most popular toy, and only 1.99! It resembles a moth (to me) and just flits about on the end of a wire, big hit here!
Cat Dancer 101 Cat Dancer Interactive Cat Toy We had a breakthrough with Buttercup upon getting this toy, she was a totally feral kitten and had absolutely no idea how, or even what play was. On the fifth night she allowed the bathroom (her sanctuary) door to be open and she played (!) in the doorway, all because of this toy! She loves play now, and still this toy! Please ignore kitten toy mess and me talking to the dog. :)

View media item 421496

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... My one cat had the feathers pinned down a bit and when it came loose it came out quick and smacked my other cat right in the face. Ever since that moment, anytime that toy comes out the cat that got hit in the face slinks away.

I am trying to build his confidence back up with the toy because he was doing really good with it and getting great exercise. ...
Is it the kind of feather wand toy like DaBird? Where the feather toy is detachable (and you can get replacements)?

What I would do is get a replacement feather toy, and keep the replacement toy off of the wand. Have that loose one just laying around on the floor, unmoving, in view of your one cat. Let him come across it. Meanwhile, play with the other feather-on-the-wand toy with the other cat, maybe in a different room or out of view of the scared cat. I think after a while the scared cat will approach the unmoving feather toy and sniff it, bat at it, and "survive" the encounter. Maybe then he'll come to associate the flying wand feather toy with this safer, dull feather toy that doesn't move... and things will get back to normal. it wil once again become prey.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dexterryu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It was almost exactly what "da bird is". I have a spare and he'll play with it, just not if it's attached to the string/wand. A couple of times he's heard me playing with it and run in the room and played for a few minutes. Then as soon as it comes off the ground he'll get scared and jet.

I have another toy that is just a stick and some feathers but he seems scared of that too.

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It was almost exactly what "da bird is". I have a spare and he'll play with it, just not if it's attached to the string/wand. A couple of times he's heard me playing with it and run in the room and played for a few minutes. Then as soon as it comes off the ground he'll get scared and jet.

I have another toy that is just a stick and some feathers but he seems scared of that too.
We had something similar happen with Buttercup with her fishing rod toy, the line wrapped around her and scared her. For a bit, she avoided all toys using rods, so I just used the string and toy without the rod and she loved it, and slowly put the rod back into the lineup. She’s back to her bloodthirsty self again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dexterryu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions. I ordered a cat dancer and a few other attachments to try. He seems to be getting is mojo back, but will still shy away when he hears the sound of the rod toy in the air. The cat dancer should be perfect for him since it's definitely noiseless and I should have better control to make sure he doesn't get smacked again.