Cat adoption and Interferons

cookiedough03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
considering adopting a second cat, and I have found one. The current rescuer located a kitten in construction site and given him antibiotics and interferon shots, not to treat any disease but just as prophylactic. Kitten is 2 months doing ok and playful, but haven't meet him yet.
Also I've never heard of interferon treatment before, as I'm not so experienced with cats and I'm worried this will cause some adverse reactions in the cat later. Is this some normal procedure? anyone tried it before? Would such kitten be safe to have around other cats? would you recommend adopting him? Thank you:)

bella.cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Yes, adoption is a great idea, but do your research first and probably take him to the vet for checkups a few times. 🙂
I haven't tried the interferon treatment before...but here is what I found on the internet.

Interferons are a group of signalling proteins made and realeased by host cells, in response to the presence of several viruses. In a typical scenario, a virus-infected cell will release interferons causing nearby cells to heighten their anti-viral defences.

Interferon cat treatments
About interferon

However I don't have any personal experience so this may not help.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK...that produced some mad googling and reading at sites that I know to be reliable. The upshot is that it probably wasn't a bad idea, at all, and UNLESS that kitten happened to be one of the rare cats with sensitivities (and you would know that already), the chances of him having an issue later on are almost non-existent. And I only say "almost" because with living beings, there's always a first time for most anything.

My best advice? Meet this kitten, and if your heart jumps a little, take him home. No one can say what the future might bring, but we don't hide in our houses for fear that we MIGHT have an accident if we go out.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Interferon in the doses given to cats shouldn’t cause any lasting side effects. Interesting it was used preventatively though, for some reason I thought interferon was expensive

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cookiedough03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone. As I write, the kitten got already adopted. the rescuer has chosen another person to give the kitten to :p

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One of my friends has been going through this, finding a kitten, getting passed over, as well. Hang in there. YOUR kitten is out there.

cookiedough03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my friends has been going through this, finding a kitten, getting passed over, as well. Hang in there. YOUR kitten is out there.
Thank you!
yes this kitten was given to the rescuer's friend. Rescuer's apologized for changing her mind. it's ok. We adopted another kitten hours ago. she is so tiny :biggrin:

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww so cute but ugh why so young :( Even with having another cat the longer the kitten is with mom and the littermates the better socialized they are and the less behavioral issues they have. Still though, congrats on the adoption.

cookiedough03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aww so cute but ugh why so young :( Even with having another cat the longer the kitten is with mom and the littermates the better socialized they are and the less behavioral issues they have. Still though, congrats on the adoption.
It’s a long story. Panther is a crossbreed between a gray British shorthair cat and a non-pedigree (non-black) cat. The owner of the pedigree cat bred them. All the kittens came out black..so as soon as they were weaned, he gave them away. Of course, I feel terrible about the fact that these kittens were separated from their mother before two months:(:(. I didn’t ask why and how. Although I started wondering if there were people who cross-breed cats and sell their offspring as pedigree cats..and this is just some “failed” experiment.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
WHAT A CUTIE PIE!

There are a lot of very responsible breeders, and an equal amount of those not so much. HOWEVER...at six weeks, you may (if you are not already) want to add some KMR to her diet for a few more weeks, just to boost that nutrition. I like the powdered variety, it seems to get better results. She may actually welcome a bottle, if not, add it to her food.

IF she develops any little bad habits from early weaning, we're here!

cookiedough03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
WHAT A CUTIE PIE!

There are a lot of very responsible breeders, and an equal amount of those not so much. HOWEVER...at six weeks, you may (if you are not already) want to add some KMR to her diet for a few more weeks, just to boost that nutrition. I like the powdered variety, it seems to get better results. She may actually welcome a bottle, if not, add it to her food.

IF she develops any little bad habits from early weaning, we're here!
Thank you for the advice! I'm mixing KMR powder with wet food(boiled chicken which I blend into a paste or canned tuna). She didn't drink it when I mixed it with water.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That'll work! Bless her, she had a rough start, but landed in a soft place.