Cat acting strange suddenly

charley_d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there!

I’m looking for some opinions to try to calm my anxiety while I wait to take my cat in to the vet Thursday.
Elliot is a 1.5 year old ragdoll and up until now he has been in great health. He’s always been a little bit anxious, but he comes around easy, is friendly, cuddly and very affectionate.

Last Saturday, March 26th, I brought home a new kitten after unexpectedly losing my rescue cat Ozzie at just five years old in January. I note this for two reasons. The kitten is a change and also, Ozzie’s death has made me very anxious and perceptive when watching the other cats.

Elliot did really well with the new kitten. He wasn’t nervous, and took to playing with him, grooming him, etc.

Fast forward to Sunday, yesterday. As soon as I woke up I noticed Elliot was acting different. He was sort of doing a gag/retch thing where he’d just be standing there and kind of open his mouth. There was a lot of lip licking as well. The major thing I noticed was that he was acting very fearful.

I spoke to my vet over the phone who suggested he may have a URI, brought on by the stress of the kitten coming home. He is still eating, although a little less, and I’m picking up on every little thing he does that seems out of character to me. Honestly, I’ve been an anxious wreck for the past two days.

I live in a rural area and the vet is quite busy. So I’m going to bring him in Thursday unless he worsens.

He doesn’t seem to have any congestion which is what makes me question the possible URI. Does anyone else have any other suggestions? Could he still be very stressed by the kitten even though they get along? They did play for a little bit this morning, and Elliot seemed to have a hoarse meow. I’ve checked his mouth for foreign objects, he’s breathing normally, and eliminating normally.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Jasper developed a UTI shortly after we adopted Milo. They got along great right off the bat, so I was hesitant to think that it was because of that.

Our vet said it was because of the food he was eating (we had, at the time, just switched the dry food to Acana and they were eating that.)

It could be stress from the kitten, or stress from losing his precious buddy, etc. Or it could be something else entirely and just be food related, maybe?

Hope his vet visit goes well!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charley_d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi - how much grooming? Is it possible Elliot's gotten himself a hairball? Granted, that doesn't really tie into the fearful behavior, but still it makes me wonder.
i was wondering the same thing. He grooms both other cats (the kitten and resident dish) who shed quite a bit. He did just eat Quite a bit so I find that encouraging. I did notice some dry hard poop in the litter box, wondering if that’s the issue?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you give him a little cooked, mushed up egg yolk mixed with his food? I'm not a vet but if it is a hairball this will help with that, and if it isn't it won't do any harm.

charley_d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you give him a little cooked, mushed up egg yolk mixed with his food? I'm not a vet but if it is a hairball this will help with that, and if it isn't it won't do any harm.
I can try! He's a bit of a picky eater, but I'm willing to try anything.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I personally think the fearful part was having to do with him not understanding what he was experiencing. A hairball would be a good first guess - and, based on my experience with Feeby, the hairballs don't always get vomited up; it seems as if she 'dislodges' them with the hacking and then they pass for the most part. If hairballs are collecting in his digestive tract, that might help explain the harder stool, as it is in essence kind of clogging up his system.

If you and the vet are OK with trying it, give him some Miralax - about 1/8 tsp mixed with a bit of water, and then add it to a treat or whatever you feel he will be willing to eat it in. A couple of days and you can see if it makes any difference. A good 'maintenance' process for helping hairballs pass is a dab of butter/margarine on his paw or from your finger for him to lick. If not that, a drop or two of olive oil in his food can help instead. A couple-three times of week with either.

Any chance there has been a change in food, or that Elliot is eating the kitten's food? Any change with drier food might also be attributing to his harder stools.

charley_d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I personally think the fearful part was having to do with him not understanding what he was experiencing. A hairball would be a good first guess - and, based on my experience with Feeby, the hairballs don't always get vomited up; it seems as if she 'dislodges' them with the hacking and then they pass for the most part. If hairballs are collecting in his digestive tract, that might help explain the harder stool, as it is in essence kind of clogging up his system.

If you and the vet are OK with trying it, give him some Miralax - about 1/8 tsp mixed with a bit of water, and then add it to a treat or whatever you feel he will be willing to eat it in. A couple of days and you can see if it makes any difference. A good 'maintenance' process for helping hairballs pass is a dab of butter/margarine on his paw or from your finger for him to lick. If not that, a drop or two of olive oil in his food can help instead. A couple-three times of week with either.

Any chance there has been a change in food, or that Elliot is eating the kitten's food? Any change with drier food might also be attributing to his harder stools.
The more I read the more it seems like a hairball to me. He is still eating, so that is encouraging. When my other cat passed, he stopped eating, and I know that's a major red flag. Every time he does his little gag, he runs and hides. When he was a young kitten, about 6 months, he threw up [the only time in his whole life] and he became very fearful. So, I'm wondering if I'm not dealing with a combination of new kitten, eating more (because he's getting kitties food), as well a a hairball. Also, I'm extremely anxious, and I think that's contributing to his anxiousness.

charley_d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, unfortunately due to a staffing shortage at my local clinic (once again, I am extremely rural), Elliot’s appointment got pushed to the 18th since he’s not considered an emergency. He’s eating, drinking, playing and the works. They told me if he stops eating or something that they’ll fit him in as an emergency. I still notice he seems a bit fearful of me, but my dad came to visit this morning and he was completely fine with him. He said he noticed nothing wrong with him, and my dad is like, an animal whisperer. Any other anxious cat moms out there who can give me some advice on calming myself down and not being so anxious???

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - try a small amount of mushed up egg yolk or the miralax or butter/olive oil as described above if you haven't had a chance to yet.

Also, can you feed the kitten elsewhere so Elliot doesn't have access to that food?

charley_d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi - try a small amount of mushed up egg yolk or the miralax or butter/olive oil as described above if you haven't had a chance to yet.

Also, can you feed the kitten elsewhere so Elliot doesn't have access to that food?
I added some olive oil to his food and fed the kitten separate from him. He’s using the litter fine, I can tell his poops from the kittens and Ruby’s. They were a little dry but the litter still stuck to it. He just eagerly gobbled down some treats and is now grooming himself and the kitten. My dad came to sit with him this afternoon and said he acted perfectly normal with him. At this point I think I’m just worrying too much.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, maybe, but you know him best. If he still seems fearful now and then of you, try playing some classical harp music during those times and sit near him while you're on your phone/laptop (near him but not focused on him, which gives him the emotional space and time to see that you're not going to do something he won't like).

charley_d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, maybe, but you know him best. If he still seems fearful now and then of you, try playing some classical harp music during those times and sit near him while you're on your phone/laptop (near him but not focused on him, which gives him the emotional space and time to see that you're not going to do something he won't like).
I think I figured that out as well. Sunday morning, when he first made his little coughing sound, I rocketed out of bed and quickly checked his mouth to make sure he wasn't choking or anything. He started running from me after that. So, that was my own anxiousness and stupidity. I'm trying to just let him do his thing today. He had a little snack and now he's laying in the sun so, overall, I feel better. Thank you for all of your advice and coaching. I'm going to continue adding olive oil to his food to help with his poop, and he'll see the vet on the 18th for his checkup anyways!