Cat Acting Different

Cainstolecki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat hates being out side and we recently moved and now she wants to go out side so badly and she is acting different looking at things that aren’t there and wanting out side not purring and if there is a noise she gets really low to the ground and runs under something and don’t come out for like 3 hours and I am very concerned for her

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’m sorry to hear about this! The first thing I’d recommend doing is taking your kitty into the vet. Changes in behavior can be a sign of underlying health issues: When Physical Problems Turn Into Behavior Problems. There’s a chance that this could be purely behavioral, but I would still recommend checking in with a vet, just to be on the safe side.

Being in a new environment can be stressful for cats, so that could be the reason that she’s hiding and acting nervous. Generally, it’s best for cats in a new home if they can be introduced to one room at a time. A Feliway diffuser can also help. This article has some more tips about helping cats to relax: Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

It can take some time for outdoor cats to get accustomed to life indoors. The key is to make the indoors interesting, with lots of toys, cat trees, etc. These articles have some terrific advice about this:
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside

Beating Boredom - What Indoor Cat Owners Need To Know

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds like maybe she is taking the move very hard. How long ago did you move?
Have you had the cat to a vet for a check up lately?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2: It does sound like your cat is having a hard time getting used to your new home.

Here's a TCS article that may have some helpful tips:
How To Move With Your Cat To A New Home In A Safe Way

How old is your cat? Has she been spayed? If not, she may be in heat, and that could explain her unusual behaviour and desire to go outside.