Cat Acting Aggressive Out Of No Where

Carly&Simon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had my cat, Simon, for several weeks. He is a Nebelung and very calm and sweet normally. All of the sudden he is acting more aggressive, more hyper, attacking things more often than normal. He used to have a couple hours out of the day where he played a lot and was hyper and the rest of the time he was very calm and typically sleeping. He is also getting into things he isn't allowed and normally doesn't do. Getting ontop of the fridge, the kitchen sink, on my dresser all places I don't let him go. It feels intentional almost. I don't hit him I just scold him and will use a spray bottle when needed.

So today he was acting very timid around me so I sat in the ground and tried to pet him and he ducked his head as if he were afraid of me and as I let him he seemed to be okay with it but something was still off, I could just feel it. And then he leapt for my face! I drew back just in time not to get scratched but he has never done this. I'm not mean to him at all, i don't know why he would act this way. Help!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
He was probably quieter at first because you and your place was new to him but as he has gotten more familiar he has gotten his full kitten energy and antics back. Spraying just doesn’t work well with kittens, it doesn’t stop them and it just makes them fearful of you which is what I think you are seeing. When he goes where you don’t want him tell him no and put him down. If you do this consistently he will eventually stop.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old is Simon, and is he neutered yet? Those two factors may have a lot to do with this. Also, do you know how old he was when he was removed from his mother?

susanm9006 susanm9006 is right. A firm "NO!" will do a lot if you are very consistent. If that doesn't seem to give him the idea, a short, sharp hiss certainly will. At that point, you are speaking his language.

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Couple of questions for you, is he the only cat in the household? Also, is he a younger cat or kitten?

The reason why I ask if he's the only cat in the household is because my Janie started acting kind of the same way not too long after I brought her home. I kind of thought she was getting aggressive with me but in actuality she was looking to play. I'm her only playmate so I make sure to take time to interact with her.

When cats are in the mood to play they generally aren't in the mood to be petted. He may have thought that when you were trying to pet him you're trying to play that's why he backed away and then came to pounce at your face. Janie also was getting on top of the fridge and into the kitchen sink so I had to make sure their we're no dirty dishes in there or she would lick them.

I have mixed emotions about the water bottle to train a cat. I trained my cats years ago with a water bottle and would squirt them in the rear and say “NO” at the same time. Then after a while I could just say “NO” when they were getting into things I didn't want them to and they would respond. I do agree with Susan, using a water bottle is not ideal. That may be why he was acting timid around you.

So, my suggestion-- if I'm correct in my assumptions that he's the only cat in the household and is a younger cat, make sure to take time to play with him. A laser pointer is a great interactive toy. Cats love it! I also have these little scrunchie things that I toss to Janie and she chases them like a dog. Find some toys that will allow you to play interactively with him.

Keep us posted on how the two of you are doing!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wand toys are great, too! It lets them actually catch and "kill" prey, which feeds that instinctive need, and builds confidence!