Cat about to give birth, okay with other cat in same room?

Californiacatboy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a cat about to give birth, vet told us to expect 4-5 kittens. Shes gotten really big this last week so i think it's gonna happen within the next few days. She has really bonded with my cat, i live with my parents and we have another male cat (the father) but she doesn't seem to like him very much. So she likes to hang out in my room alot, and my concern is her giving birth in my room with george in the same room. George is a really sweet and loving cat, but still i don't know if kittens will stress him out, or if he might end up stressing her out. But knowing george i think there is a good chance he wouldn't interfere but still wan't to be safe. What do yall think?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Is George neutered? If not, I wouldn't have them in the same room. Even then, neutered males can sometimes be dodgy around kittens, though unlikely to kill them, unlike intact males. Could try having them in the same room under strict supervision, but not super worth the risk to leave them together unless you know how he's going to act. Are your parents planning on having their cat neutered and/or are you getting your girl spayed? Male cats stay fertile for 8 weeks after neuter, and female cats can get pregnant again really soon after giving birth, so definitely keep those two apart, even if he is being neutered.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I was going to ask if spays and neuters are planned also.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If they are good friends, you can let him stay (and preferably if he is neutered; you dont want to risk a new pregnancy almost immediately).

Toms killing infants is no myth, but its usually if they arent knowing the female since earlier. Ie they are new to the revire; and wants to get the revire for themselves. If they are pals, the danger is practically nonexistent.
But what CAN happen, is if he is unused with infants, he can get scared and wipe out with a paw in defence... That is why its necessary to superwise closely the first meetings...

On the other hand, its not unusual such a friendly male does coparent the kittens. Or at least, is a friendly uncle.

To summarize: IF they are good friends, and she wishes his company, yes consider strongly to have him with her.
But if they arent good friend, the problem is she will probably be irritaded and stresses by his presence. And thus; you must separate them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Californiacatboy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If they are good friends, you can let him stay (and preferably if he is neutered; you dont want to risk a new pregnancy almost immediately).

Toms killing infants is no myth, but its usually if they arent knowing the female since earlier. Ie they are new to the revire; and wants to get the revire for themselves. If they are pals, the danger is practically nonexistent.
But what CAN happen, is if he is unused with infants, he can get scared and wipe out with a paw in defence... That is why its necessary to superwise closely the first meetings...

On the other hand, its not unusual such a friendly male does coparent the kittens. Or at least, is a friendly uncle.

To summarize: IF they are good friends, and she wishes his company, yes consider strongly to have him with her.
But if they arent good friend, the problem is she will probably be irritaded and stresses by his presence. And thus; you must separate them.
They are good friends, he grooms her often, every time she comes in she goes up to him and rubs against him or kiss noses. He is neutered, we already got the father neutered, were getting the girl spayed after she delivers. I also have some calming treats and the feliway plugin, so I'm thinking it will be okay.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Californiacatboy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE: She gave birth in my room, and had six!! All doing great, one of them i had to cut the sack and my mom had to suction fluids out the mouth but now they're all nursing and meowing and being adorable!! George was being really sweet and licking her when she was giving birth, he got a little irritated at one point when he saw all the kittens at once but he's being very calm now and just watching them from a distance.