Cat Abdominal Incision Advice

sjcg2010

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my poor buddy recently underwent abdominal obstruction surgery. He did really well, they kept him overnight and they said he did great. He's been eating and drinking normally and peeing. No bm yet but they said it would take a few days. We've been doing his pain medication every 8 hours no cone unless I'm sleeping, I'm bunking with him for a few days to keep him company and to keep him from jumping. His incision is quite long. And they said we could remove sutures in 10-14 days. While he's recovering anything I should look for? His in good spirits but I'm not sure what to monitor or a incision that size. They did a great job, just some normal seepage red and yellow tinged fluid and some spots of pinkish red. No swelling and he's back to meowing softly at the door, never had a cat undergo such serious surgery, any advice would be helpful especially with keeping him from being active in the coming days

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, how old is he? Will he be ok in a small room and not stress himself out by trying to be out in the main part of the home?

Some people who have spunky kittens coming home from a spay will remove as much as they can, and then pile lots of pillows (in such a way that they won't topple over at just the wrong time) and strategically place chairs and such to try and keep the jumping to a minimum.

You'd want to look for an odor, swelling, oozing pus, redness, and his behavior. You might take photos so that you can keep track of how things look on a daily basis, and that way you'd have something to show the vet should it become necessary.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sjcg2010

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, how old is he? Will he be ok in a small room and not stress himself out by trying to be out in the main part of the home?

Some people who have spunky kittens coming home from a spay will remove as much as they can, and then pile lots of pillows (in such a way that they won't topple over at just the wrong time) and strategically place chairs and such to try and keep the jumping to a minimum.

You'd want to look for an odor, swelling, oozing pus, redness, and his behavior. You might take photos so that you can keep track of how things look on a daily basis, and that way you'd have something to show the vet should it become necessary.
He's 3 and we're in the guest room which only has a bed that he's interested in jumping on, he's been good apart from jumping out of the carrier when we got home and while I tried to give him a pill, both I monitored for a while to see if there was any swelling after and so far so good, (2nd day). Luckily the vet I went to said if you are unsure you can email us photos, so worse case scenario they're available. His medication is also a compound medication and is a sedative so it knocks him out most of the day. Thank you so much, I've been looking at it several times a day they did a great job sewing him up looks very clean and very straight.

sjcg2010

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ribbon. I thought I hid my gift ribbon at the bottom of my basket and I was on a family trip for a week and my fiancée went to work to come back to some sticking out of his rear. Had to open his intestines to retrieve it. Heard about it the morning I was meant to drive 15 hours home, cried almost the whole way there. Came home and promptly threw everything away that resembled string or ribbon so he'd never have to go through this again.

sjcg2010

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my word. I'm so sorry that happened.

:vibes::bouquet::redheartpump::sunshine::redheartpump:
Me too, I'd do anything to keep my best friend around. If that means no more long stuff around the house so be it. I'm just happy we got him into a place that knows what they're doing and gave him the best care

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. With the jumping what you need to be cautious of is internal damage as opposed to suture damage. So, if you can find a way for him to walk up a ramp or something to get on the bed, that would be better.
You might want to look into a surgical suit for him. I think when he is feeling better he may go after the sutures

sjcg2010

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. With the jumping what you need to be cautious of is internal damage as opposed to suture damage. So, if you can find a way for him to walk up a ramp or something to get on the bed, that would be better.
You might want to look into a surgical suit for him. I think when he is feeling better he may go after the sutures
I just ordered one hoping it'll be here tomorrow! Thank you so much I appreciate it, I've been trying to keep him as contained as possible but he's always been athletic so it's been a challenge. Noted he doesn't mind his cone, but I'll order a suit also!