Casper - Likely Lymphoma :(

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I write this crying.

I've been a member here for many years, and have written about Casper frequently. In recent years, he's beaten diabetes, and currently is living with CKD and more recently hyperactive thyroid.

Last week our vet suggested an x-ray (abdominal/heart/etc) as he has been having periodic episodes of problem breathing that last several minutes in addition to a sudden bout of loose stools (first time - turns out he was constipated so that was easy to fix) where he completely didn't make it to the litter box. While examining the film she noticed something amiss, some kind of mass but the x-ray wasn't able to give any indication of what it might be. Because of this she suggested we do a sonogram - which was this morning.

I just heard from her. They discovered several masses in/on his liver and another area which is more difficult to image so they aren't sure exactly what it was - but suffice to say that most likely he has some variety of metastatic cancer/lymphoma. She is forwarding me the diagnostics today.

We discussed options and both agree that at 17-1/2 years old and with his current health already compromised, he is not a candidate for any aggressive treatments. There'd be no point doing an aspiration of any of the masses since it won't make a difference one way or the other going forward of how to care for him. Basically, we are to continue giving him the care we already do (fluids 2x a week, methimazole, good food, love) it is just time will tell, and he will tell when he's ready to let go.

The doctor was very encouraging about how well we have cared for him up until this point. She told me that my husband and I are great examples of how to care for a pet, we've spared no expense of time or money thus far. Casper is one of their favorite patients at the practice, everyone gets excited to see him, and she said he still looks darn good, and seems to be maintaining pretty well all things considered.

While I'm upset, my husband will be crushed. Casper and him are deeply bonded. He is in school full time and I won't see him again until late tonight (if at all) and it isn't a conversation to have over the phone. I'm not sure how I'm going to even push off this discussion when he calls me to check in later since he's obviously aware where Casper was today.

Words of support are appreciated, especially by those who have dealt with end of life issues for their cats. I welcome any advice you can lend me but please be aware we do NOT believe in the the rainbow bridge concept at all and are not religious - for us, the physical body once gone is gone, although the many years of memories will always live with us.

His passing is not eminent - we have more good times to spend with him, my hope is that he will be with us until past the New Year when my husband is finished with school this semester, his last at the community college until he figures out where he goes from there.

Casper may be thinner, a bit crankier, and sleep more but he still looks good overall, is enjoying his life, grooming, eating, playing with his sister Cocoabean and still plays the head butt game at night with us.

The old man, is not ready to leave. Yet.

37145986644_b33629b89e_o.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! I'm so sorry to hear this!!

Just to suggest as a thought although I'm not a vet, would you consider trying CBD oil? It is anti-flammatory, and can also help inhibit cancer cell growth. (if you do, be sure and avoid hemp oil being sold as CBD).

Also to offset his weight loss, can you add unflavored Pedialyte and/or goat milk?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! I'm so sorry to hear this!!

Just to suggest as a thought, would you consider trying CBD oil? It is anti-flammatory, and can also help inhibit cancer cell growth. (if you do, be sure and avoid hemp oil being sold as CBD).

Also to offset his weight loss, can you add unflavored Pedialyte and/or goat milk?
Thank you for your suggestions.
If he were younger, I'd look into the CBD but inhibiting cell growth isn't going to reverse the inevitable. I do think it is a good option overall, but not in this case.
Goat milk is a great idea. He likes dairy products of all types. We hide his HT medicine in a small lump of cream cheese because he never passes that!
I'll also ask about the Pedialyte. That seems like a great idea too. Thank you again.