Cant Find My Cat During The Day, Missed Vet Visit

DocOd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a short haired domestic male. He is a more of a nocturnal little guy. He is active 6pm to 6am. During the day he hides/sleeps. The problem is I can never find it during this time. I live in a multiple room house with other room mates and a basement. He has plenty of places to hide/sleep. Today, I missed a vet appointment for him because I couldn't find him. During his active hours, the shake of the food bag or running on the tub brings him right out. During the day time this does not work. Any ideas on how to lure him out during the day for my rescheduled vet visit?

**** I cannot use a collar on him. He will not accept it and will hide for days without eating, going to bathroom, or cleaning his eyes until you find him and take off the collar and he goes back to normal. I cant use a tile tracker on him because of this

Thanks You!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DocOd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't really have the supplies to do that. I was thinking last resort, the night before the appointment I would just lock him in my room with me. I would rather not do that though because he would probably hate it and meow all night.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DocOd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My basement offers the most hiding places for him actually because theres boxes and old furniture everywhere. I may be able to move things around to set up an "area". What exactly are the guidelines to set up an "area"?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you use or break down some of those boxes to create a pen of sorts? A corner of the basement so you have a couple walls you can work off of, a cat bed or snuggly blankets, treats, --it's sort of up to you and your cat as to what will work.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably keeping him in one room for the night before is best. If you can choose a room away from the bedroom so you get some sleep, make sure he has food, water, litterbox, any toys or furniture or beds that he likes. It’s just for one appointment, after that you can try to see where his hiding spots are. Good luck!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:

My vote is also to keep him in one room overnight.

Or get up before he heads off to his 6 AM hiding place, shake his food bag, grab him, and put him in one room then. Depending on the time of your vet appointment, make sure he has food, water, toys (or in his case, a place to sleep) and his litter box.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.