Can't find kittens

Sieben

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately one of my cats, who lives outside, was hit by a car and died, a couple weeks ago she gave birth (she became considerably thinner and her nipples looked like she was feeding the kittens). I am now really worried for the kittens, I can't find them. Does the mother usually hides them close or far away from people? Do their dad takes care of them? If I bring him with me while searching, will the kittens recognise or call him? They should be already two weeks old, so I think they have their eyes opened
Sorry if I posted in the wrong section or made other mistakes, it's my first time posting

Celticmum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately one of my cats, who lives outside, was hit by a car and died, a couple weeks ago she gave birth (she became considerably thinner and her nipples looked like she was feeding the kittens). I am now really worried for the kittens, I can't find them. Does the mother usually hides them close or far away from people? Do their dad takes care of them? If I bring him with me while searching, will the kittens recognise or call him? They should be already two weeks old, so I think they have their eyes opened
Sorry if I posted in the wrong section or made other mistakes, it's my first time posting
Oh no how sad I am so sorry about your cat, you could try using a recording of a mum cat calling her kittens on your phone and see if you get a response back they might cry out in response

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sieben

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh no how sad I am so sorry about your cat, you could try using a recording of a mum cat calling her kittens on your phone and see if you get a response back they might cry out in response
Thank you for answering, I'll try that, hope I find them

Celticmum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for answering, I'll try that, hope I find them
It has worked for me in the past but the kitten I was searching for was about 3 weeks old and another was 4 weeks old so I really hope they do cry out and let you know where they are good luck and let us know how you get on

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Dad cannot nurse, so if you find the kittens you need to be ready to hand raise them with formula. How long since mom died? Where were the babies then?

Sieben

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dad cannot nurse, so if you find the kittens you need to be ready to hand raise them with formula. How long since mom died? Where were the babies then?
mom died this morning, I still haven't seen the kittens as she used to live outside and she hid them somewhere around my garden. What do you mean by "formula"?English is not my first language

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Formula is made especially for kittens and sold in pet shops. Or you can use full fat goat’s milk. No cow’s milk. The kittens will die in a day or two if not found and fed. I encourage you to look further in your garden and in those of your neighbors. Let neighbors know. Your cat may have hidden them next door!

Sieben

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Formula is made especially for kittens and sold in pet shops. Or you can use full fat goat’s milk. No cow’s milk. The kittens will die in a day or two if not found and fed. I encourage you to look further in your garden and in those of your neighbors. Let neighbors know. Your cat may have hidden them next door!
I live in a rural area, there aren't houses nearby, only a few abandoned or demolished structures, they usually hide the kittens there but I can't find them, will they cry if they hear me?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don’t know if they will cry. Just continue looking. Get someone to help you look.

Milo and Maple

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Doesn’t KMR have cows milk in it?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Re the dad. It varies. he cant nurse, but not so few males do help out co-parenting. We see it if they live at home. Also outside, our formuist notice sometimes some seems to live as family groups, the tom follows the momma and kittens, and protects and helps out...

If these parents here were visibly best friends, there is a good chance.
And you noticed ONE of them was eating with you, while the other was elsewhere - we can assume they cooperated with the caretaking, and one cared for the other went to eat.

If so, you can try to follow him. Why, he will probably be with the kittens....

Otherwise, dont hope too much on the tom. Most toms do not participate in the caretaking of the kittens - although it does happens yes.

Re seeking:
Ask some helpsome neighbour kids to seek. Instruct them, so they arent too wild nor careless, and let them. Kids are good with seeking in bushes and holes where no grown ups would spontaneously look and see.

Healthy kittens manage quite some time without food, but of course, time is running...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps. Is it cold at your place?
If so, they will be probably chilled out when found.
Do not feed them with kmr / goats milk before they are good and well warm again. Digestion works poorly in cold kittens.

But there is a trick. You can give them pedialyte, or sugar water while you wait till they are warm enough.

Sugar water you make it with white caro syrup or honey and water,, barely sweet. Pedialyte contains som glucose sugar / dextrose. Clear flavorless pedialyte for children is best.