Can't afford food

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I live at a place where nobody really cares bout cats,and I have adopted an abandoned kitten,no one is ready to adopt him so I have to keep him I can't afford a nice wet cat food for him,and I don't wanna give him dry food ,coz it is not suitable or healthy for them,all I can afford is chicken and fish,even if I could afford cat food it is not sold in our region so I'll have to import it which again I can't afford,could anyone tell me how much chicken and fish do I give it to him a day?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It may be best to add water to the dry food and feed him that. Or feed him that alongside the fish/chicken. He needs a proper nutrition profile to grow healthy. You'll have to buy suppliments if you make your own food for your cat. But there's many people here that do, who could recommend some things to you..I'm sure they'll post later.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with the above poster. If you have dry cat food available, feed your kitten that. You can give him/her a dish of dry and another dish of dry mixed with water to add some extra moisture, along with a dish or two of water as well. The supplements that you would have to buy to add to human fish or chicken would also be expensive and to get pre-mixed ones they would also likely have to be imported. Better to feed dry cat food that has all the required supplements added to it.

If this kitten/cat is younger than 1 year old, feed them as often and as much as they are willing to eat. They need a lot of nutrients while they are growing.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Saikachu Saikachu

It is very possible to feed cats an outstanding homemade diet that is based around chicken (and some fish) and to do so in a more economical fashion than feeding canned foods.

But one does need to be mindful of balancing the diet so it provides the proper nutrients.

There are a variety of ways to accomplish this. One is by serving cooked meals to which a commercially formulated "pre-mix" is used to make it nutritionally balanced.

I take the PMR (prey model raw) approach, where things like essential amino acids (like taurine) are supplied through serving taurine-rich foods (such as dark meat turkey and dark meat chicken), and by feeding both organs (such as liver and kidney) and soft edible bone in the correct percentages.

The "prey model" for cats is 84% taurine-rich meat, 10% organs (half liver/half other "secreting" organs such as kidney), and 6% raw edible bone.

While it is quite possible to feed a cat well on homemade diets, it is also possible to serve meals that are not nutritionally balanced if one isn't mindful of a cat's nutritional needs. Feeding PMR (for example) does take attention to details and would involve some user-education. Nothing "daunting," but still vital.

Do you have access to affordable dark meat chicken, organs like chicken livers and/or organs from other animals, bone-in chicken pieces like chicken feet and chicken necks?

Bill

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't wanna give him dry food ,coz it is not suitable or healthy for them,
In your situation, the dry food provides appropriate nutrition beyond what he might be getting in just the chicken and fish, which is why Box of Rain mentioned the amino acids, and your other posters are suggesting to utilize kibble, as am I.

If I were you, I personally would feed kibble and supplement with the chicken and fish. If you moisten a portion of the kibble, be sure that you don't leave that out very long if your cat doesn't eat it right away, as bacteria will grow quickly.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I disagree about the notion that it is necessary to purchase powdered supplements in order to create nutritionally balanced meals. In fact, this can be done by feeding real food alone. Items like appropriate meats, eggs, organs, and soft-edible bones in the right balance do provide optimal nutrition.

Feeding in this fashion does take attention to details and a grounding in the nutritional needs of felines, but it is certainly do-able.

And chewing on appropriate raw edible bones helps keep a cat's dental health optimal in a way that feeding a supplemented (bone-free) diet does not.

Feeding "dry food" as an alternative to figuring out how to properly feed a cat a homemade diet is something I would strongly discourage, unless the person doing the feeding is careless and irresponsible.

With knowledge and care a home prepared cat diet can be both economical and excellent nutritionally.

Bill

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, not everyone has the resources to make a well balanced homemade diet. In which case, a person is forced to work with what they have or can acquire in their region. This sounds like one of those cases.

While perhaps not ideal to what we would recommend to those with more resources, I can understand the suggestion to use what is on hand until a better solution is managed.

It sounds like any way you shake it for Saikachu, they are looking at getting something shipped, which can become expensive. If they don’t have the resources to do that on a regular basis, it’s reasonable to work with what they can manage.

That being said, a diet of only chicken or fish meat is definitely not balanced. So, if possible it’s a good idea to get a premix supplement. If that’s not possible, using the dry as a balancing agent is better than nothing.

Last edited:

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, not everyone has the resources to make a well balanced homemade diet. In which case, a person is forced to work with what they have or can acquire in their region. This sounds like one of those cases.

While perhaps not ideal to what we would recommend to those with more resources, I can understand the suggestion to use what is on hand until a better solution is managed.

It sounds like any way you shake it for Saikachu, they are looking at getting something shipped, which can become expensive. If they don’t have the resources to do that on a regular basis, it’s reasonable to work with what they can manage.

That being said, a diet of only chicken or fish meat is definitely not balanced. So, if possible it’s a good idea to get a premix supplement. If that’s not possible, using the dry as a balancing agent is better than nothing.
Recognizing that not everyone might have the resources to assemble a balanced DIY diet is why I asked about the availability and economy of items like dark meat poultry meat, organs, eggs, and appropriate soft edible bones.

*If* such items are available and are economical and *if* a person is dedicated to learning how to balance meals and follows through in practice, then it is quite possible to feed a cat a diet that is not only nutritionally optimal but also very economical compared with the alternatives.

I'm well aware that someone who is not mindful of basic feline nutritional needs could go very wrong with a DIY diet. I understand the caution and share the concerns of a DIY diet done wrong.

I also know the consequences of feeding dry food as an alternative to learning how to do it "right."

Bill

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
…could anyone tell me how much chicken and fish do I give it to him a day?
Forgot to address this question

The amount to feed homemade diet is based on the weight and activity of your cat.
General rule of thumb is 3-5% of their body weight. Remember to convert lbs to oz when calculating this.
10 lb cat = 10(lb) x 16(oz/lb) =160 oz
3% = 160 x .03 =4.8 oz per day (not so active cat)
5% = 160 x .05 =8 oz per day (very active cat)

Now, if you’re supplementing with dry, you may need to adjust your amounts.
Please remember that meat only is not going to have enough nutrients by itself.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here are a couple of resources that those considering doing a DIY diet might use to help ensure one is meeting a cat's nutritional needs.

The first is a pamphlet from the (US) National Research Council of the United States Academy of Sciences, which is regarded as one of the leading authorities on feline nutrition. It offers a good easy-to-read "summary" of what a cat requires:

https://nap.nationalacademies.org/resource/10668/cat_nutrition_final.pdf

Then for those who wish to check what they are feeding against the NRC recommendations, one can look up ingredients on the USDA Food Data Center database. Note: most basic fresh meats and organs are found under the "SR Legacy Foods" option.

FoodData Central

For those considering feeding PRM, it is critical to understand the taurine levels in raw ingredients, how to minimize the loss of highly soluble taurine, and to get to know the percentage of soft edible bone in what is being served to ensure the proper mineral balances are met.

One does have a responsibility not to cause a cat harm by feeding them a nutritionally unbalanced diet.

A cat can be fed well and economically on fresh meat, eggs, fish, edible bones and organs. But feeding a cat nutritionally imbalanced meals can cause long-term health problems.

This is only something that should be undertaken with care and responsibility.

Bill

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wonderful! Many experienced posters put some links for you.

Whatever ends up being affordable or accessible to you, do not beat yourself up. Cats are the only domestic animal we have actually extended the life of and this is partially due to the commercial food, yes including dry food. Now that their life is extended we have learned more about what is difficult for them to process over time. Commercial foods are adapting, some faster than others but even the cheaper brands.

My late cat loved steamed chicken and salmon with a bit of sweet potato. I supplemented her food with what I considered to be quality in my area.

I've got a dry food addict who won't touch a raw or cooked home diet. Full stop (no suggestions please I'm not going there again with him).