Canned prescription kidney food to donate

TeacupCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, :wave2:, I just registered on this forum. I had two precious cats who I lost a little over a year ago. They died 4 months apart. Both of them (sisters) were 16 years old and both had kidney disease. We were giving them fluids every day for the last year of their life. One cat needed the fluids several months earlier than the other one. I have been feeding them both prescription canned kidney food which they liked. I still have a lot of canned prescription kidney food to donate. Anyone on here need prescription canned kidney food, that lives in New Jersey? I know it’s a needle in a haystack, but I thought I’d try anyway. We were devastated, so it took us a while to get rid of the extra food and fluids we still have. Would love to donate to another fur baby. Thank you!!

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi there, :wave2:, I just registered on this forum. I had two precious cats who I lost a little over a year ago. They died 4 months apart. Both of them (sisters) were 16 years old and both had kidney disease. We were giving them fluids every day for the last year of their life. One cat needed the fluids several months earlier than the other one. I have been feeding them both prescription canned kidney food which they liked. I still have a lot of canned prescription kidney food to donate. Anyone on here need prescription canned kidney food, that lives in New Jersey? I know it’s a needle in a haystack, but I thought I’d try anyway. We were devastated, so it took us a while to get rid of the extra food and fluids we still have. Would love to donate to another fur baby. Thank you!!
I'm so sorry you lost your girls. The best way to honor them, in my opinion, is to do exactly what you're doing--donating their food to someone who needs it! :) Thank you for doing your best for your babies and for offering to donate to someone who needs it. If no one responds to you to take you up on your offer, you might call a couple shelters in your area and ask if they know of any orginizations that have programs for people who need a little extra help affording food/necessities for their cats. We have one here in my town where people can come in and pick up food/other supplies for their animals and I know they appreciate specialty items like kidney food, etc. Maybe someone else in the area can chime in if there is anything like that in the NJ area? Good luck!

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you have a local no kill cat shelter near you? I'm sure they can put the food to a good use.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I am finding that the rescues, near me, do NOT want prescription cat food, even donated. One rescue in particular: if prescription food is donated, they will feed it to the feral cats. This is a good/bad thing. While you do not want to deny the feral cats, food.. I think it is a waste, because there are so many people struggling to feed prescription food to their sick cats. Personally, I would prefer to give it to the sick kitties.. as in a "pay it forward"...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TeacupCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there. I wasn’t sure if shelters needed/wanted any prescription cat food for elderly, sick cats. I thought they had their hands full with HEALTHY homeless cats. Oh hell no, this isn’t going to feral cats! This food I’m offering was very expensive and it’s for fur baby cats with kidney disease only. If I cannot find any organization (or maybe Facebook) in my town that is interested, I’ll reluctantly offer it to my vet. Thank you!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there. I wasn’t sure if shelters needed/wanted any prescription cat food for elderly, sick cats. I thought they had their hands full with HEALTHY homeless cats. Oh hell no, this isn’t going to feral cats! This food I’m offering was very expensive and it’s for fur baby cats with kidney disease only. If I cannot find any organization (or maybe Facebook) in my town that is interested, I’ll reluctantly offer it to my vet. Thank you!
Are there any small pet stores near you? They will take donations

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible your vet has a way of helping their patients who can't quite afford what they need. If I were you I'd check with their office manager. If s/he isn't interested, there are other vets in your area. My vet was grateful for anything like that for his clients who are struggling.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TeacupCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, thank you. Good idea! 👍