Canned And Dry Food Suggestions For Kittens

vanana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What are some recommendations for kitten wet and dry food? Something easy on the stomach / good for digestion. Currently using Purina chow but it's giving some of the babies upset stomachs.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of the Fancy Feast Classics canned food say "All Life Stages", so they are okay for kittens.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! I'd feed this to my kittens if I had any ;)
ORGANIX® Grain Free Organic Kitten Recipe
1 ingredient is organic free-range chicken
  • No grains, corn, wheat or soy
  • USDA Organic
  • Features a blend of superfoods – organic flaxseed, organic cranberries and organic coconut oil
  • Cooked with love in an organically certified USA kitchen

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used merrick when i had kittens. They have a great kitten dry food, most pet stores carry it. They can have any wet food, as long as it is for all life stages.
I did feed quite a bit of Merrick kitten, and fancy feast turkey canned food for kittens, as well as royal canin think slices kitten food. How old are they?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used merrick when i had kittens. They have a great kitten dry food, most pet stores carry it. They can have any wet food, as long as it is for all life stages.
I did feed quite a bit of Merrick kitten, and fancy feast turkey canned food for kittens, as well as royal canin think slices kitten food. How old are they?
I second the nomination for Merrick. It's a good food at a reasonable price and as duckpond duckpond mentioned, it's readily available. They also have good canned food for all life stages. My cats are grown but are such picky eaters. One food that I keep on hand for those times when they are being ultra fussy is the Fancy Feast canned turkey for kittens. They cannot resist it. It's a pate. Give it a try.

Merrick / Cat - Free shipping at Chewy.com

Fancy Feast Kitten Tender Turkey Feast Canned Cat Food, 3-oz, case of 24

Saf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kitten food is just a marketing gimmick. Kittens don't need a special food they just need more of it. Good quality food is good quality food for all life stages. What you should look for in a food is for it to be free of unnecessary garbage - grains, carbohydrates, sugars etc. And personally I don't believe any dry food can be described as good quality because it lacks one of life's most essential nutrients - water. And it places a lot of onus on the cat to drink a large amount of water on a daily basis. If they're don't drink adequately, there's a high possibility of developing bladder and kidney problems.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Merrick dry was my cat's mainstay growing up, until she got a bit older and I switched to all life stages foods.

kitten food isn't a "gimmick", it has certain nutritional minimums that not all foods meet, so it or an all life stages food (which also meet those standards) should be fed to kittens.

As to dry vs wet, healthy cats who drink well ( which doesn't cover all cats, admittedly) generally do just fine on a high quality dry diet, but cats who drink poorly, have kidney issues, etc. shoudl be fed wet. Likewise, if you cant' afford top end foods (while high end dry foods re equivalent to their wet counterparts, low end ones are indeed much worse)

Saf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Merrick dry was my cat's mainstay growing up, until she got a bit older and I switched to all life stages foods.

kitten food isn't a "gimmick", it has certain nutritional minimums that not all foods meet, so it or an all life stages food (which also meet those standards) should be fed to kittens.

As to dry vs wet, healthy cats who drink well ( which doesn't cover all cats, admittedly) generally do just fine on a high quality dry diet, but cats who drink poorly, have kidney issues, etc. shoudl be fed wet. Likewise, if you cant' afford top end foods (while high end dry foods re equivalent to their wet counterparts, low end ones are indeed much worse)
How does it work out in the wild? Does the mother lion suddenly start feeding different food when the cub gets to one year's of age? If you compare kitten Vs adult products they're generally identical and the protein and fat content might be slightly different. Kittens have additional needs but they get this from the shear amount of food they eat.

The pet food industry is full of marketing ploys. Breed specific foods is another, which Royal Canin specialize in. If you look at the difference between different foods for different breeds, it's generally different shaped kibble for each breed.

We're all shaped by our experiences and mine have taught me that dry food and cats don't go together and it's a recipe for health problems later in life, from kidney disease to diabetes. And it isn't any good for their teeth, which is another myth.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most kitten foods are higher in protein and fat, and lower in carbs, which all cats need. The kibble is normally a bit smaller, which is good for young kittens, and again higher in protein and fat, lower carbs than many adult versions of the food.

Yes an all life stages cat food will work fine, but specific kitten food is often easier for young kittens to deal with, i think its maybe easier on the tummy, and the size and texture are a bit better for kittens. Not necessary to feed kitten food, you are right, but will not hurt anything, and may help the OP with the sensitive stomach issues. My kittens all did well on Merrick kitten food, wet and dry, as well as the fancy feast kitten food, turkey. The kitten kibble is very handy with young cats, its often hard to feed them as much as they need with just wet.

Mine are grown now, and i feed kibble and two wet meals a day. works for my guys.