Cancer Battle

panni86us

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 14 (almost 15) year old orange tabby Simon was diagnosed with a spinal tumor in November 2020. I've had him since he was just a year old and we've been through a lot together: he had megacolon surgery and one eye removed, among other things. Then just before last Thanksgiving his hind legs stopped working, from one day to the next, and he became lethargic. I took him to the emergency vet where they also had a neurologist and oncologist, but thought that it would be a slipped disc or maybe a blood clot, definitely did not expect cancer...

Unfortunately due to its location the tumor is inoperable, so he was put on prednisolone right away, which fixed his legs and helped him go into remission for a few months. We also did a round of radiation between December and January. In the good period that followed we took our first roadtrip to Florida to see my parents, which could have been the last time, since I was told in November that he had 6-9 months to live... He was never a traveler but he took the trip pretty well and spent most of the time sitting in my mother's window looking outside.

Unfortunately in March his hind legs stopped working again, so we started chemo, with the understanding that there was no guarantee it would help... Some people warned me against chemo but I wanted to try and not give up without a fight. After the first dose of Doxirubicin there were no side effects and his hind legs were working again for the most part. Then after about 10 days they stopped working again and he started dribbling pee everywhere. I had to get him diapers and put puppy pads down... it's been difficult to say the least, not just the amount of cleaning but seeing him like this. On the other hand his personality is still there, he still likes to cuddle and beg for food when I'm eating and follow me everywhere, even though he has to drag himself. The oncologist said the tumor was likely pushing on vital nerves and that's what's causing the issue with the legs and the incontinence. So I've been spoiling him rotten with treats and cuddles, as luckily I'm able to work from home most of the time.

This past Monday when I took him for his next chemo treatment (we switched to Lomustine), he was also badly constipated after not pooping for 4 days. After a day at the vet and multiple enemas I was told that he may not be able to poop on his own again due to the tumor... which would become a major quality of life issue of course. Then on Thursday I found fresh poop in the house a couple of times but I think he's lost that reflex now and has also been eating less. He's not using the litterbox at all, he just goes wherever he happens to be. So I also have to wash his backside daily now which he's not thrilled about. Yesterday he decided that he wanted to go down the stairs (which he always liked to do in the past) but that can only be done with assistance. When he sleeps next to me, I can feel him trembling at times - another neurological issue. The oncologist said that if the Lomustine doesn't help him, there is not much else we can do. Next week I will call him to touch base, since he said the Lomustine would take about a week to work.

As much as I am dreading the decision to have him put to sleep, I have already looked into in home euthanasia for him. He hates going to vets and I wouldn't want to put him (and myself) through that stress in such a situation. In home euthanasia just seems like the best fit, as I wouldn't want to be around a bunch of strangers in a waiting room or drive on the road, a total mess, after my cat just passed away... Part of me has already come to terms with the inevitable. The first shock really happened in November when I got the diagnosis. I cried a lot then and have been reading a lot about the topic ever since. My own emotions have been a roller coaster though, so please don't judge me for what I'm about to write. At times I wish he was gone already, to a better place. I know this sounds terrible but I can't help it. I feel helpless and tired and don't know how else I could take care of him. I would never hurt him or neglect him but we have tried everything and still no luck. Am I a terrible person for feeling this way? On the other hand I know I will feel guilty about putting him to sleep, because his personality still shines through the illness. He's funny, such a character... I will miss him. Sorry for the long post.

File_000 (2).jpeg

HAS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about poor Simon. When the end is near, it is heartbreaking to watch our loved one deteriorate like that. It is very normal to feel a wide range of emotions from guilt to sadness. Home euthanasia is absolutely a good send. I have used it twice for my cats (one with kidney failure and one with FIP.) I’ll never do it any other way, highly recommend. The vet was so personable and caring, and let us say goodbye when we were ready. Our cats were never stressed and were made comfortable. It is the final gift you will give to Simon. Hang in there

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am so sorry to hear about what is happening with Simon. The hardest part is when to know to let go, especially since his personality still shines and he is interested in things and eating and drinking OK. With both my cats, one who passed away from FIP and another who had cancer, perhaps I waited too long, but I kept them going until you could see they were tired of doing so (they both had almost stopped eating and were much less interested in their surroundings).

See what happens with this most recent chemo treatment, and in the meantime, I will ask one of our members, Mr. Meow Mr. Meow , who owns and deals with handicapped cats if they might have any tips/ideas to share with regard to helping keep Simon cleaned up, as well as any other ideas they might have for you.

My heart goes out to you and Simon.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have years of experience with GSDs with degenerative myelopathy....multiple sclerosis in dogs..which starts in the back, paralyzes the rear legs, then moves to the bladder and bowels and then continues on until euthanasia is the only option. As I was reading your post, it really sounded like the only differences were the cause and the size of the animal involved.

Having said that, I was going to make suggestions as I read, but you are doing everything exactly right for Simon. Mr. Meow Mr. Meow might have some very cat specific ideas.

I do agree with home euthanasia, which I did for my last DM GSD. It is the only humane option when an animal has already faced so much. However, I do agree with FeebysOwner FeebysOwner that you might wait to see what the most recent treatment does for him.

A couple of questions. Is the tumor causing pain or could it? It is possible that he does not feel the need to poop if the neural pathways are deadened by the tumor which causes both the constipation and the pooping at will in the house. Pressure sores or abraded skin from dragging himself? Urine burn from the pads? Possible multiple enemas if the poop really does stop. In the condition I mentioned, it eventually goes one with or another.

No matter what you do right now, you have to continue to evaluate Simon for quality of life. His pic looks great....a spunky little pirate. You have done a wonderful job of caring for him and have given the condition a lot of "chances" including chemo, so you certainly cannot tell yourself that you did not do your best. I am so sorry that you are facing this difficult time.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you're going through all of this. It's never easy to see a pet that you love, dealing with something you can't control.
While I'm not a vet, I have had plenty of experience with cats who do not have the use of their legs, or have incontinence issues. The spine is a tricky area, especially when it's cancer. Normally I'd recommend diapers (which you've done) and looking into a cart for added mobility. However, because it's cancer on the spine and not a specific injury to a specific area, a cart in this case may do more harm than good. I would look into (sorry Simon) a skirt of some sort if he's getting raw areas on his legs. You don't want open wounds to deal with while he's going through chemo.
As far as cleaning him, if you have a kitchen sink with the little movable faucet heads, those are much easier to use than full-sized shower heads. If you can do this with another person, one of you clean while one of you try to give treats to make the stress as little as possible. I'd also recommend having a nice, right-out-of-the-dryer warm towel ready to burrito him up in.
As for Simon and if he's feeling pain, I couldn't tell you. What I do know is that cats are especially good at hiding pain. Pain or injury in the wild is seen as a weakness, and the weak become easy targets. Since you say his personality is still the same, it doesn't really make the pain issue clear.
Here are my overall thoughts on this. Ask the vet to find out if he's in any pain. If he's in pain and the next treatment doesn't seem to help, then the most humane thing may be the home euth. However, if he's not actually in any pain, but just lost his rear ability, and if you're willing to continue with that extra special love, time and care, then I see no reason right now that this has to be the end. Cats can continue to live decent lives with cancer as long as they aren't in pain and they're eating/not losing weight.
I know it can be difficult to see him like this, but there's one major theme I've seen among all special needs cats...they don't believe they are any different, at all, in any way.
To be honest, as soon as I saw Simon, I had a smile on my face. He looks like my Captain Jack, who is also an orange tabby, missing an eye. Jack also is missing teeth, whiskers and has brain damage. He walks/runs/falls like he's drunk, hundreds of times a day, every single day. But in his world (and I believe in Simon's too, as long as there is no pain) they truly believe they are the same as they've always been. It's US who see them differently.
IMG_20210325_185257.jpg

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Could pain meds be given in case of pain in lieu of euthanasia at this point?
Depends on the side effects Simon experience. Sometimes pain meds can give cats diarrhea and with him being incontinent, that might be an issue. Also, depends on the length of time pain meds are Ok'ed to be used. Couldn't hurt to ask the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

panni86us

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello All,

I thought I'd give an update on Simon. This week we ended up at the vet twice and he's currently hospitalized. He's badly constipated and despite the constant peeing everywhere in the house his bladder has gotten HUGE. He had to be catheterized twice at this point. He's still eating although not much and cuddling lots. We went outside a few times this week too, as the weather was nice and he likes to poke around the garden and sit in the sun. I got him a rear support harness, although his right leg seems to better. The main concern is his inability to empty his bladder and bowels which is obviously a major quality of life issue, on top of the mobility issue...
Two doctors told me at this point that it was time to think about putting him to sleep, I'm just waiting to hear from his oncologist. If the right leg improved a bit after one dose of Lomustine, maybe there is hope for his internal functions, too... I hope to have him home and know more tomorrow.