Canadian jailed for not having cat licence

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
This is a very odd story.  Winnie, the cat involved, is a feral being fed by the man's estranged wife.  Why didn't she get fined instead of him?  At least it sounds like Winnie isn't getting picked up and taken to the shelter and will still be fed where she is.   Usually the person stays free and the cat goes to jail.

It does raise some interesting questions though about having to license feral cats.  Is licensing ferals in the USA even required?   A lot of people don't even license their indoor kitties.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kat-toy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

This is a very odd story.  Winnie, the cat involved, is a feral being fed by the man's estranged wife.  Why didn't she get fined instead of him?  At least it sounds like Winnie isn't getting picked up and taken to the shelter and will still be fed where she is.   Usually the person stays free and the cat goes to jail.

It does raise some interesting questions though about having to license feral cats.  Is licensing ferals in the USA even required?   A lot of people don't even license their indoor kitties.  
This so-called cat license fee is just a cat-tax to generate income for the city of Gatineau, Quebec, Canada.  There is absolutely no point in licensing a cat!  And now a poor person went to jail because of it: SHAME SHAME SHAME!!!

Cordially,

KT

Last edited:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

This so-called cat license fee is just a cat-tax to generate income for the city of Gatineau, Quebec, Canada.  There is absolutely no point in licensing a cat!  And now a poor person went to jail because of it: SHAME SHAME SHAME!!!

Cordially,

KT
Your post made me curious to see what licensing fees are used for in the city where I live (in Maryland.)  The fees apparently help to support the animal shelter, which seems like a reasonable use of the money.   I completely agree with you, however, that sending to someone to jail for non-payment is shameful.