Canada Fresh

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone feed this? I saw it on chewy and saw they came in larger cans. I wanted to try the lamb but there's peas in it. IDK what does everyone think of this brand? I've never heard of it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I haven't tried it, seems like there are a lot of new pet food makers hitting the market! Peas aren't necessarily a bad thing, but I do feed several different manufacturers to try and avoid too much of any one starch/gluten etc.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks to be a good food, but for the Agar-Agar. I don't feed a food with that ingredient, because it seems to me to just be another form of carrageenan?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Canada Fresh Lamb Canned Cat Food, 5.5-oz, case of 24
Nutritional Info
Ingredients
  • Lamb, Lamb Broth, Peas, Tri-Calcium Phosphate, Agar-Agar, Calcium Carbonate, Salmon Oil, Choline Chloride, Salt, Taurine, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Selenium Yeast, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid.
Caloric Content
  • 111.5 kcal/100g ME; 173 kcal/5.5-oz can; 411 kcal/13-oz can

I don’t think the peas are bad, potatoes are the vegetable people usually try to avoid most in cat food, because it’s very starchy and some cats don’t digest it well. With this food, I’d be more worried about the salmon oil, because fish can contain mercury. Some fish is fine for cats, but in large amounts it can be a problem. I don’t know much about agar-agar. I think it’s similar to carrageenan but I don’t know if it’s as bad. :dunno:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just checking to see if anyone has given this brand a try since this thread was started. :)

Our cat with food allergies is getting bored with his current menu options, and I'm trying to scout out some new possibilities for him.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen it in stores here (in Canada) but never tried it. It's owned by Petkind which is also the brand that makes Tripe Cat. Tripe doesn't meet all of the AAFCO guidelines.

From their website, it looks like Canada Fresh is 95% Canadian sourced meat, so even if it does contain peas it likely doesn't make up a huge portion of the food. I don't see a statement on their website about whether it meets AAFCO guidelines.

Edit: Upon further calculations, it looks like several of their can varieties are high in fat, moderate in carbs, and moderate in protein. Doesn't look that good to me so I'm not going to bother inquiring further with the company.

Last edited:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen it in stores here (in Canada) but never tried it. It's owned by Petkind which is also the brand that makes Tripe Cat. Tripe doesn't meet all of the AAFCO guidelines.

From their website, it looks like Canada Fresh is 95% Canadian sourced meat, so even if it does contain peas it likely doesn't make up a huge portion of the food. I don't see a statement on their website about whether it meets AAFCO guidelines.

Edit: Upon further calculations, it looks like several of their can varieties are high in fat, moderate in carbs, and moderate in protein. Doesn't look that good to me so I'm not going to bother inquiring further with the company.
I contacted PetKind a couple of weeks or so to ask if the Canada Fresh product line was nutritionally complete according to AAFCO guidelines, and was assured that it is. It is higher in fat than I'd prefer, but it appears to be pretty much in line with some of the Hound & Gatos flavors currently in Buddy's rotation.

I haven't seen Canada Fresh yet in our little part of Texas, and I'm always nervous about ordering a whole case of something without being able to try it first. :wink:

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I contacted PetKind a couple of weeks or so to ask if the Canada Fresh product line was nutritionally complete according to AAFCO guidelines, and was assured that it is. It is higher in fat than I'd prefer, but it appears to be pretty much in line with some of the Hound & Gatos flavors currently in Buddy's rotation.

I haven't seen Canada Fresh yet in our little part of Texas, and I'm always nervous about ordering a whole case of something without being able to try it first. :wink:
That's good to know. Yeah, I think it looks like decent food. Actually the company headquarters are here in BC. I think it's worth a try.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi again, speaking of, there are a couple of websites that will allow orders of small quantities; Only Natural Pet, and The Big Bad Woof...whether they have this or not, I don't know yet...

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi again, speaking of, there are a couple of websites that will allow orders of small quantities; Only Natural Pet, and The Big Bad Woof...whether they have this or not, I don't know yet...
Alas, they only carry the Tripe products at this time. Bentley's Pet Stuff didn't have it either as of this morning when I re-ordered some stuff from them. Oh, well. Hopefully it will show up somewhere soon. :)

LilPenelope

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I bought the duck variety because normally my cat LOVES duck and it was a bit cheaper than PetcureanGO! formula. I tried feeding it to her twice and she wouldn't touch it :(

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its been in store for a while here (Quebec) but only the dry food. The dry food is high quality (Acana and Orijen still being top...but to far from limited ingredients for my cats). I didnt see the canned (wet) version around here tho...gonna ask my pet store next time i go. They only offer, Go! and Boreal. Go! is the same brand than Fresh!...maybe they are changing the name?

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tried lamb and Vega wouldn't touch it. May try one more flavor (red meat probably) before saying farewell.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, dear, L LilPenelope and Vega's Dad Vega's Dad . Sorry the Canada Fresh didn't work out for your kitties.

I have a sneaking suspicion that our cat won't like it either, which is why was hoping to be able to just buy a can or two somewhere. If I buy a whole case of something without being able to try it out first, our cats usually hate it. And if I have to go out of my way to buy a can or two at a time, they absolutely adore it. I think it's a conspiracy. :wink:

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, dear, L LilPenelope and Vega's Dad Vega's Dad . Sorry the Canada Fresh didn't work out for your kitties.

I have a sneaking suspicion that our cat won't like it either, which is why was hoping to be able to just buy a can or two somewhere. If I buy a whole case of something without being able to try it out first, our cats usually hate it. And if I have to go out of my way to buy a can or two at a time, they absolutely adore it. I think it's a conspiracy. :wink:
I think the company might send you a sample. They offered to give me a coupon (I'm in Canada), but if you explain your situation they might send you a sample.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the company might send you a sample. They offered to give me a coupon (I'm in Canada), but if you explain your situation they might send you a sample.
I wasn't able to get any samples or coupons when I contacted PetKind, but I did get a nice brochure with pretty much the same info that's on their website. :)

There's a pet store near my son's new apartment that is supposed to carry lots of holistic type cat food. Maybe I can find some novel proteins over there that will tickle Buddy's fancy. Hope springs eternal. :wink:

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't able to get any samples or coupons when I contacted PetKind, but I did get a nice brochure with pretty much the same info that's on their website. :)

There's a pet store near my son's new apartment that is supposed to carry lots of holistic type cat food. Maybe I can find some novel proteins over there that will tickle Buddy's fancy. Hope springs eternal. :wink:
I've also found that some pet stores will just order a case of something for you if you want to try it. Not all will do it, and some will expect that you buy the whole case, but I've known a couple that will order the case and let you buy a couple cans. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I found that anything Vega likes to eat smells "tasty" for me, too. Basically, whenever I open something new, I'd be able to know if it would be hit or miss by smelling it. The Canada fresh lamb didn't smell bad but not attractive either. Actually, the word occurred to me was "boring" :(