Can you mix cat food?

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As everyone knows Scooter had a UTI in September so I had to switch his food to a urinary tract food. He was prescribed the prescription food as all vets seem to prescribe now a days. But the cost of the food was way too much. Plus you needed a prescription from the vet which can be hassle. With having 2 cats to feed as it’s easier if they eat the same thing I could not afford the expensive cat food. After tons of research, advice from you guys, a few vets and the help of a lovely member here who asked their vet I switched to Purina Pro Plan urinary food. My boys love the wet food so there is no problem there. They were eating the dry but it started to not agree with them. Both got sick a few times and started backing away from the food. So I found Purina One Urinary tract dry food. They both get 2 meals of wet and I will give them some kibble to nibble on if I am asleep or gone and they get hungry. I like to balance it out by giving them both dry & wet of course sometimes I put some water on the dry.

Anyway since they don’t like the Purina Pro Plan Urinary dry food is it ok to give them the Purina One Urinary dry food for kibble & Purina Pro Plan Urinary canned for their wet food? There is a Purina One urinary wet food. But it is a 3oz cans and that doesn’t last with 2 cats. I do occasionally get the Purina one canned food if I desperately need wet food. So I will get some til I have money to get the other. But their main canned food is Purina Pro Plan urinary food. So is it okay to give them both?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As everyone knows Scooter had a UTI in September so I had to switch his food to a urinary tract food. He was prescribed the prescription food as all vets seem to prescribe now a days. But the cost of the food was way too much. Plus you needed a prescription from the vet which can be hassle. With having 2 cats to feed as it’s easier if they eat the same thing I could not afford the expensive cat food. After tons of research, advice from you guys, a few vets and the help of a lovely member here who asked their vet I switched to Purina Pro Plan urinary food. My boys love the wet food so there is no problem there. They were eating the dry but it started to not agree with them. Both got sick a few times and started backing away from the food. So I found Purina One Urinary tract dry food. They both get 2 meals of wet and I will give them some kibble to nibble on if I am asleep or gone and they get hungry. I like to balance it out by giving them both dry & wet of course sometimes I put some water on the dry.

Anyway since they don’t like the Purina Pro Plan Urinary dry food is it ok to give them the Purina One Urinary dry food for kibble & Purina Pro Plan Urinary canned for their wet food? There is a Purina One urinary wet food. But it is a 3oz cans and that doesn’t last with 2 cats. I do occasionally get the Purina one canned food if I desperately need wet food. So I will get some til I have money to get the other. But their main canned food is Purina Pro Plan urinary food. So is it okay to give them both?
Yes it's okay.
Nobel was on Purina Pro plan Urinary for years. Because of that Magnus and Cal learned to eat urinary. They've never had urinary issues.

Nobel passes away at 17 in Feb this year and the main food my cats still get is the Purina urinary food.

When you get the other Purina, just make sure to add extra water. Then, as long as he doesn't have bladder flares on that food you should be fine! Studies have shown that after stones are dissolved, having a mainly wet diet of any sort is the biggest way to prevent further bladder flare ups for cats with ongoing urinary issues.

Nobel also had the Purina Pro Plan Prime Plus, Royal Canin 12+, and Purina Pro Plan Senior.

Keep an eye out and if there's any issue with a particular food just don't feed that one anymore.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes it's okay.
Nobel was on Purina Pro plan Urinary for years. Because of that Magnus and Cal learned to eat urinary. They've never had urinary issues.

Nobel passes away at 17 in Feb this year and the main food my cats still get is the Purina urinary food.

When you get the other Purina, just make sure to add extra water. Then, as long as he doesn't have bladder flares on that food you should be fine! Studies have shown that after stones are dissolved, having a mainly wet diet of any sort is the biggest way to prevent further bladder flare ups for cats with ongoing urinary issues.

Nobel also had the Purina Pro Plan Prime Plus, Royal Canin 12+, and Purina Pro Plan Senior.

Keep an eye out and if there's any issue with a particular food just don't feed that one anymore.
Both Scooter & Casper do well in the Purina Pro Plan urinary wet food. Even though Scooter was the one with the UTI. Which he basically went 5 years without getting one til September of this year. I only went to Purina Pro Plan urinary food cause I can’t afford the prescription food the vet recommended. I don’t think Scooter had any stones the vet never said anymore about stones. Just that his bladder was full of blood that it was possible but she couldn’t tell. Then when we picked him up it was he had bacterial UTI. But I try not to think about it anymore. The more I do the more my anxiety acts up. I decided to take it one day at a time. Especially since there is no way I can afford a vet visit of any kind right now til the Care Credit bill is paid off completely.

Anyway I was giving them the Purina Pro Plan Urinary dry food too. But after a couple of weeks both were throwing it back up. So I found Purina One Urinary Dry food. Which on the bag it says Purina One +plus urinary tract health. I did tons of research each list always had Purina Pro Plan & Purina One in the top 5 for urinary food. Others I never heard of or seen. But I make sure they get their water intake. They get water in their wet food which they get 2 wet food meals a day and I put a little water on the kibble if I give them. The only time i don’t add water to their kibble is when I put some in their bowl before I go to bed. Both of my boys are grazers so I give them just a little bit of kibble to graze on til I get up to give them wet food. Anyway I am rambling but I just wanted to be safe that it was ok to give them both Urinary foods.