Can UTI go away on it's own?

Cool_Northern_Breeze

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 12 year old female american shorthair that I've had for 10 years that has been spade. Only thing I know of her prior history is she was surrendered to the shelter very pregnant.

She's had a history of chronic urinary tract infection. Dr has her on canned Royal Canin SO which has worked well. Dry version still had issues. UTI never needed hospitalization, it was always medication and the switch to SO.

Last night she started showing UTI symtoms. Frequent and prolonged attempts to urinate, licking of the genital area and appeared to be looking outside the litter box for a place to urinate. Then, this morning she seems normal again. Haven't seen any sign of her using or wanting to use the litter box since last night.

She has a checkup in 2 weeks, which was the next avail appt (at least for a checkup). If no other UTI symtoms I guess I'll wait for the checkup to discuss with the vet, but she has me worried.

She's always been a friendly cat, but recently seems to be getting more irritable in the last couple months. ie. Nail clipping used to be met with protest meow's, but now seem to escalate until she is hissing and thrashing to escape. This was already on the list to discuss with the vet.

Also, the hospital I've been taking her was bought out by a corp. Where in the last I'd see 1 of 2 vets, now I seem to see someone different each time.

My question is does anyone know if a UTI go away on it's own? Or, is there anything else that can cause UTI symtoms?

Thanks

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. UTIs will not go away on their own - it's an infection that has to be treated. But, if there is bladder inflammation, that can mimic UTI symptoms, and in many cases will lead to a UTI - especially since she is prone to them anyway. Bladder inflammation can be brought on by crystals that irritate the bladder lining, or urine that is too concentrate which also can inflame the bladder lining. The fact that her demeanor has changed, there may be something else going on as well. I am not sure, at her age, I would want to wait 2 more weeks if you can help it.

You might consider looking for another vet, so you can have a dedicated person watching after her instead of multiple, random vets. You can get a copy of all her records from the current vet to share with a new vet so that they have her history. Ask friends/family/neighbors/co-workers for recommendations on the vets they use.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cool_Northern_Breeze

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks FeebysOwner & LTS3,
I'll be calling the vet on Monday morning to schedule an appt.

She gets just canned SO. Tried dry SO (might have been another brand at first), still caused issues. The other thing about SO is she likes the paste type of canned food. Tried her on a version that had chunks in sauce and she looked up at me like where is my food since I'm not eating this. She does also get dry hairball and dental treats.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Kind of elaborating on LTS3 LTS3 's comments - Has the vet ever suggested what is behind her chronic UTIs? Crystals, or a PH balance issue, in her urine? Or, do they consider it to be more of an idiopathic cystitis problem (usually assumed to be somewhat stress related - generally seen in cats that tend to be more of the anxious type)? Some of what they think might be behind the UTIs can affect how important it really is to feed her only SO. I can't say for sure, but it does seem a lot of cats who are fed wet food exclusively have much less urinary issues than those who aren't, even without it being prescription food. Having a cat that will drink a fair amount of water (along with eating canned food) also helps, as that keeps the bladder flushed out so that things like crystals can't form as easily, and PH imbalances don't have as much of an opportunity to irritate the bladder lining. Both situations can lead to UTIs.

If you were considering other pate type foods to add to her existing SO food, there is Fancy Feast pates that are pretty good. I converted Feeby to Fancy Feast when she decided she no longer liked the SO food (she also stopped eating the Hill's C/D as well), as she does not like anything other than pates. I also give her Sheba Perfect Portions and Nutro (very similar to Sheba) which are also pates. And, for additional water - it could be added to her food, or possibly getting a water fountain would entice her to drink more.

The other thing to ask about is what kind of bacteria is found when she has a UTI? That is usually determined by a urine culture, in addition to the standard urinalysis. The culture identifies the type of infection and helps determine which antibiotic would best work on that type. There was a period of time when Feeby was routinely getting UTIs - they all turned out to be e-coli related, and a different antibiotic was eventually given to her. Standard antibiotics can help minimize this kind of infection, but they usually aren't able to eradiate them entirely. Just something else to ask the vet about.

Cool_Northern_Breeze

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's been quite a while since she's had a UTI. I thought the issue was behind us with using SO, but as you pointed out it could be something else.

I remember discussing crystals with the vet, but not PH balance.

Wouldn't think it's stress related. She's a single indoor cat, but can never be sure with a cat.

Her drinking water has always been an issue like with many cats. She gets most of her water from the food. I have a water bowl out for her, but I rarely see her use it. I tried a water fountain, but after initial curiosity there was no interest.

A prior test did have e-coli and I think that was due to how I handled her food dishes. Her dishes go through the dish washer with my dishes after every use now.

I remember her being on Hill's, but don't remember why I switched. Might have been her health, or availability of Hill's at the time.

Thanks for your help. At this point I'll need to see what the vet finds.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A prior test did have e-coli and I think that was due to how I handled her food dishes. Her dishes go through the dish washer with my dishes after every use now.
E-coli is a naturally occurring bacteria in feces. We think Feeby was being a bit 'lax' on her cleaning, and the bacteria traveled from her anus to her urethra and into her bladder. It was about the same time she also was having some build up in her anal glands, which are normally 'expressed' not only by the act of pooping, but by cleaning/licking as well. Not saying that will help you any, but just other things to consider.

Good luck at the vet's and let us know what you find out!!!

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say no dry at all and wet food 3 times a day only. Dry food is horrible for cats with urinary issues. Make sure no fish is in it and that the water is filtered water. You can try koha LID as that's another good brand that could help with urinary issues.

Cool_Northern_Breeze

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vet saw her today. They gave her medication and I got some to also give. Won't know more until the test results come back.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Cool_Northern_Breeze

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet called today with the results and she's doing much better. She's concentrating urine and saw/heard her using the litter box normally a short time ago. 1st night after the vet she didn't seem to sleep much, but last night was sleeping earlier than normal and as far as I can tell slept the whole night although she was ready and eager to be fed as soon as I woke up.

Vet and I discussed what might have triggered the UTI. I don't know of any stress that might have caused it, but who knows with cats. Have been minor changes for me and who knows if something I did caused her stress I wasn't aware of.

Plan is to monitor and keep her on the SO which until this has worked well. Will re-evaluate at the next checkup or sooner if the symptoms return.

Thanks everyone for your help with this.