Can Spayed Mom Return To Kittens?

Lilia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello there; anyone

Three feral cats raised in my yard. Of the three, two females have recently given birth, 8 kittens a piece. I captured mothers and kittens and brought them indoors for safe keeping. Also contained kittens are easier to take for spay and neutering at the appropriate time

First litter of kittens are five weeks old. Mother was tearing holes in the floor. Vet tech told me she might be in heat again. Either way, I took her to be spayed. Its been one day. She is calling for her babies. Can she go back to them without hurting her?

Lily

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lilia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Talkingpeanut:

She is a TNR, meaning Trap, Neuter, Release. Yes, the stitches are internal. The surgery was two days ago.
How much time, if any, should pass before momma and kittens can be reunited?

Lilia

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They can be together now! My cat returned to nursing the same day as her spay.

Have you reunited mom and kittens now? If so, how is it going?

Lilia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just reunited them. Mom and kittens were happy to see each other. They will try to nurse, in which case I worry about pain to the momma.
I'll keep an eye on her.
Meanwhile, thank you everyone for your help. I was stressing in behalf of both momma and kittens
Lilia

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mom will let the kittens know if the nursing is too painful. She will get up and move. If she hasn't nursed in a day it will be a relief for her mammaries to nurse.

Lilia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was able to feel her nipples and they were very full. Indeed it is a relief to her to nurse. Looking into her, I see where she is laying down and all 8 are up to her now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's great to hear! 8 babies - wow! That's a big litter! :lovecat2:

Lilia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello wonderful cat people;
First thing this morning, I went into the room where the mommy cat and kittens are being kept to check on mom. Found her perched on the window sill. I suspect she was taking a break from her nursing babies. Won't let me get too close anymore; lost trust. But for what I could see, there is no redness at the incision site or near it. She is doing great and her babies are happy to have her back.
Thank you everyone for your prompt response and guidance regarding this matter.
Lily